Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission won't shift

Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the creeper above. I'm assuming you are out by now but if not let me know. I will come get you. Like others have said don't go out alone. Look up charleston area jeep spot on face book. There is usually someone local that's willing to ride with you.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Out of woods

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
Help! Stuck in the woods and my tranny wont shift. When i put it in drive or reverse the engine just revs with no movement. Im stuck in the woods with a 6 mile hike if i cant figure this out by morning. Thanks in advance!
We are out of the woods. We were not alone, but our friend was new to off-roading so he got a quick crash course today.
We are getting towed back to our home through AAA because we couldn't figure it out. Keep the suggestions coming and we will try each upon our arrival. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, the last few posts were my wife, but we finally made it back home. Granted, it could of been a lot worse, but it still cost us a 200 mile tow truck ride and a busted weekend. But thanks so far for the suggestions, but none of them have panned out.

Now that I have a computer, I'll try and describe it a little better. It happened after doing some donuts in a shallow mud hole. I put the Jeep in park, then when I went back to drive, I hit the gas and nothing happened. It was in 2wd the whole time.

I tried all the tranny and transfer case combos with no luck. All the linkage is connected and moving like it should. You can even hear the engine change RPM when going from park to drive or reverse, just not movement. This makes me think it's something with the transfer case or maybe the tranny internals???

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get this figured out by Tuesday it's going to have to go to a shop and I always hated doing that.

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the driveshaft look ok? Still connected?!! Very strange what you are describing but I think you are on the right path that its probably something to do with the transfer case.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

update?? any news?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that if something internal happened to the tranny/transfer case you would have heard some metal crunching or grinding. With it being an auto I'm wondering if you messed up a sensor thats keeping the Jeep from engaging into the proper gear. Hope everything turns out alright keep up posted and glad you got out ok
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

The jeep is at AAMCO right now because right now work sucks and there's no time for me to tinker. I'll let ya'll know once I hear what the damage might be...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, if anyone ever has symptoms like I've described, it's probably a worse case scenario

Turns out it was a snapped transmission input shaft... I haven't seen it yet, but Aamco called and said it was snapped clean in two... Definitely wouldnt have figured that one out on the trail.

Considering this is my 3rd Jeep in 12 years and the first major repair, I can't be too pissed, but at least it's getting fixed.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
So, if anyone ever has symptoms like I've described, it's probably a worse case scenario

Turns out it was a snapped transmission input shaft... I haven't seen it yet, but Aamco called and said it was snapped clean in two... Definitely wouldnt have figured that one out on the trail.

Considering this is my 3rd Jeep in 12 years and the first major repair, I can't be too pissed, but at least it's getting fixed.
Sorry to hear that Bro! But glad you and your wife got out OK. Happy Jeepin'!

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift