Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission won't shift

Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't shift

Help! Stuck in the woods and my tranny wont shift. When i put it in drive or reverse the engine just revs with no movement. Im stuck in the woods with a 6 mile hike if i cant figure this out by morning. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

See if the T-case lever is floppy as if it's disconnected.

If it is, the linkage's plastic retainer has broken loose, and the t-case is in neutral.

The lever on the side of the t-case, by the front drive output, can be moved by hand from underneath the Jeep.
(Careful! Don't let the Jeep roll over you. E-brake on and tires chocked.)

If it's not that, is the transmission lever floppy? It could also be disconnected.

Next, I would check the transmission fluid level. (You have an auto, right?)

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-23-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to make some suggestions, then I saw you were a gators fan. Good luck out there.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check to make sure ur t case is engaged properly
Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Transmission won't shift

What a crappie thing to have happen. I just can't get over the fact that my JKU has plastic parts in the transmission linkage. That's just inexcusable. The only vehicle that I have driven where a piece of plastic in the linkage failed was my sisters Chevy Chevette. Anyone remember what a piece of junk those things were?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c4bus
I was going to make some suggestions, then I saw you were a gators fan. Good luck out there.
WOW! This is his wife and as I am also stuck out here with him, our two dogs, and he has to be back to work tomorrow since he is a United States Sailor, all I can say is "THANK YOU!" It is people like you that make me realize how rude and juvenile people can be!

If anyone else has any "helpful" tips we would sincerely appreciate them.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
Help! Stuck in the woods and my tranny wont shift. When i put it in drive or reverse the engine just revs with no movement. Im stuck in the woods with a 6 mile hike if i cant figure this out by morning. Thanks in advance!
We have tried the few suggestions and still nothing. Any more suggestions?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

did you get out ? . Where you alone off roaring ? If so a lesson here too. Never go out alone.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

try unclipping the auto tranny linkage and move it by hand, if there is damage to the auto selector it might not engage properly, if the jeep starts you are either in park or neutral, the jeep wouldn't start.....if you can roll the jeep back and forth by hand then you are in neutral...just remember which setting you are in so you know how many notches to move the gear selector on the transmission by hand.... you can at least try and put it in gear manually and get out. good luck!!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, GO GATORS!

Double checkk that linkage as the "nice" person stated first. Can you get under the rig well enough to see and or check? Did you case out and hit somehting and broke? Cell pic ? Check out the local area on this and wrangler forums and see if a local can get you unstuck.

-Gators...

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift