Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission intermittently doesn't engage in 4 wheel low... 2013 JKU

Old 08-02-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission intermittently doesn't engage in 4 wheel low... 2013 JKU

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon with an automatic transmission. When driving on trails in Colorado in 4 wheel low I had the following issue at least once a day: I would need to back up and when I shifted to reverse the transmission would stay in neutral for 4 or 5 seconds before engaging. This would also happen sometimes when shifting from reverse to drive. When it first happened I was backing up at a switchback on Engineer Pass. I accelerated and nothing happened...when it did finally engage it took me rapidly backward and almost off of the cliff. This issue would only happen one out of ten times and only in 4 wheel low. I have never had it happen in 2 wheel high or 4 wheel high.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:22 PM
MJC
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShooterIndy
I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon with an automatic transmission. When driving on trails in Colorado in 4 wheel low I had the following issue at least once a day: I would need to back up and when I shifted to reverse the transmission would stay in neutral for 4 or 5 seconds before engaging. This would also happen sometimes when shifting from reverse to drive. When it first happened I was backing up at a switchback on Engineer Pass. I accelerated and nothing happened...when it did finally engage it took me rapidly backward and almost off of the cliff. This issue would only happen one out of ten times and only in 4 wheel low. I have never had it happen in 2 wheel high or 4 wheel high.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Yep, happens to me seems like every trip in 4lo. I'd like to get it fixed, but am sure dealer wont replicate. Turn off the ignition, wait about 10 sec and back to normal.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Known issue. Do some searches and you'll find forum hits on the subject here and other websites. Long story short, have your dealer run your VIN and most likely there is a service bulletin applicable to your tranny that a flash upgrade of the software fixes this and other issues. My '14 JKUR did it and after I got it flashed mine behaved much better. Otherwise, a shift into park and then back into whatever gear usually resolves the issue while on the trail.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service Bulletin #21-033-14, October 22, 2014

For vehicles equipped with the W5A580 transmission:

A small number of customers may experience a MIL and possibly DTC P0730. In addition to correcting the DTC, the following TCM calibration improvements are now available. These updates are broken down by vehicle line and engine category. (I'm only going to list the JK specific stuff).

- Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions while vehicle is loaded or towing.
- Delayed downshift when driving at altitudes higher than 2500 feet.
- Inconsistent shifting when towing or while driving up or down steep hills.
- Delayed upshift while driving in 4 low.
- Intermittent delayed shift.
- Delayed engagement when shifting from drive to reverse while in 4 low (JK Rubicon only)
- Delayed shift from second gear while towing or driving on steep grades. (JK Rubicon only)
- Intermittent delayed engagement from reverse to drive.

There may be more in this TSB that addresses other issues, but these were the pertinent ones to my issues. This flash cured my issues.

Regards,
Frank
Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
Service Bulletin #21-033-14, October 22, 2014

For vehicles equipped with the W5A580 transmission:

A small number of customers may experience a MIL and possibly DTC P0730. In addition to correcting the DTC, the following TCM calibration improvements are now available. These updates are broken down by vehicle line and engine category. (I'm only going to list the JK specific stuff).

- Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions while vehicle is loaded or towing.
- Delayed downshift when driving at altitudes higher than 2500 feet.
- Inconsistent shifting when towing or while driving up or down steep hills.
- Delayed upshift while driving in 4 low.
- Intermittent delayed shift.
- Delayed engagement when shifting from drive to reverse while in 4 low (JK Rubicon only)
- Delayed shift from second gear while towing or driving on steep grades. (JK Rubicon only)
- Intermittent delayed engagement from reverse to drive.

There may be more in this TSB that addresses other issues, but these were the pertinent ones to my issues. This flash cured my issues.

Regards,
Frank
Thanks to you all for the help!!! The specific TSB for the 2013 JK is 21-035-15. This reprograms the Transmission Control Module (TCM). This TSB is dated May 27, 2015 and supersedes the previous TSB 21-014-14 dated April 16, 2014. Since they keep issuing new TSB, it looks like they are searching for a fix. Hopefully this one will work. They reprogrammed my Jeep today. I probably won't know if it works until I go off-roading again.

Quick Reply: Transmission intermittently doesn't engage in 4 wheel low... 2013 JKU