Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission crooked

Old 03-16-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission crooked

2008 Jk Rubicon 3.8 4 inch lift . ( not 100% sure on the lift but high ) Ok I ve been beating my head against the wall on this and so has the dealership. I have tried one other forum with no luck, so I thought id try here. My transmission is in slightly crooked. If you were to remove the shifter boot ( 6 speed manual ) and look down the hole in the body you can see that the trans is of center , the circle in the trans were the shifter goes is sort of in the 7 o ' clock position. Then if you put the boot back on and the plastic ring is hard to shift into second gear especially in cold weather because the boot binds up being so close to the tub. When in fifth gear the shifter looks to be in neutral position. We bought it used and was not like this when we bought it. We had clutch problems and had been back to the dealership 3 times , the dealer claimed on the 3rd. visit the trans was causing the clutch issues and they put a rebuilt one in. When we get the jeep back the trans. is crooked. It goes back to the dealer for the crooked trans. issue . They claim they found a broken motor mount on driver side causing the crooked drive line and replaced it along with a new trans mount.. Its STILL crooked . IS IT POSSABLE THEY USED THE WRONG BOLT HOLES ON THE MOUNT ? THUS REBOLTING THE TRANS CROOKED ? what can be causing my crooked trans? Please help.. crossmember fine...
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a manual but that sounds suspicious. I would recommend getting with someone in your jeep group and doing a side by side comparison. Maybe some one can take their boot off and see if their matches. Although if it was crooked then the weather wouldn't matter and 2 nd gear would have a issue year round, right?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
I don't have a manual but that sounds suspicious. I would recommend getting with someone in your jeep group and doing a side by side comparison. Maybe some one can take their boot off and see if their matches. Although if it was crooked then the weather wouldn't matter and 2 nd gear would have a issue year round, right?
You would think... in cold weather my wife cant even drive it cause of shifting issue.. not a member of jeep group YET!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Loosen all the mounts and see if you can move it. It won't move much but if you can that means there's a mounting problem. Make sure your crossmember is bolted in all the way, impact it if you can. After that check your frame. Maybe they did something stupid, like use a pentastar mount. If you can't get it to move take it to another dealer and an offroad shop (read: not 4 wheel parts) and ask their opinion.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greenmanalishi
2008 Jk Rubicon 3.8 4 inch lift . ( not 100% sure on the lift but high ) Ok I ve been beating my head against the wall on this and so has the dealership. I have tried one other forum with no luck, so I thought id try here. My transmission is in slightly crooked. If you were to remove the shifter boot ( 6 speed manual ) and look down the hole in the body you can see that the trans is of center , the circle in the trans were the shifter goes is sort of in the 7 o ' clock position. Then if you put the boot back on and the plastic ring is hard to shift into second gear especially in cold weather because the boot binds up being so close to the tub. When in fifth gear the shifter looks to be in neutral position. We bought it used and was not like this when we bought it. We had clutch problems and had been back to the dealership 3 times , the dealer claimed on the 3rd. visit the trans was causing the clutch issues and they put a rebuilt one in. When we get the jeep back the trans. is crooked. It goes back to the dealer for the crooked trans. issue . They claim they found a broken motor mount on driver side causing the crooked drive line and replaced it along with a new trans mount.. Its STILL crooked . IS IT POSSABLE THEY USED THE WRONG BOLT HOLES ON THE MOUNT ? THUS REBOLTING THE TRANS CROOKED ? what can be causing my crooked trans? Please help.. crossmember fine...
Bent crossmember maybe? The stocker is pretty brittle and wont take much to bend. Inspect the crossmember where the trans mounts to for a warped or crooked mounting surface. Also inspect the brackets on the frame that the crossmember mounts to for bending

edit: If I remember correctly the center of the crossmember where the trans sits on has bolts that come down into the crossmember that you thread a nut onto. Inspect those bolts for bending
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WashingtonWrangler
Loosen all the mounts and see if you can move it. It won't move much but if you can that means there's a mounting problem. Make sure your crossmember is bolted in all the way, impact it if you can. After that check your frame. Maybe they did something stupid, like use a pentastar mount. If you can't get it to move take it to another dealer and an offroad shop (read: not 4 wheel parts) and ask their opinion.
When you say pentastar mount ...Is that the wrong mount , but can bolt up? But yes will check all mentioned ... Thanks

Last edited by Greenmanalishi; 03-16-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monte417
Bent crossmember maybe? The stocker is pretty brittle and wont take much to bend. Inspect the crossmember where the trans mounts to for a warped or crooked mounting surface. Also inspect the brackets on the frame that the crossmember mounts to for bending

edit: If I remember correctly the center of the crossmember where the trans sits on has bolts that come down into the crossmember that you thread a nut onto. Inspect those bolts for bending
They had actually broke one of them trany mount bolts (comes threw crossmember) the old one . I made them replace it , and bolts missing out of flywheel cover?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm in the camp of loosen everything and tighten it back down. I replaced my clutch and realistically- things only go in one way. The crossmember can only go in one direction and be properly, fully, bolted in.

There is a piece of foam in there to help seal the junk out of the cab but that surrounds the shift tower. Google the term and you'll see where I'm talking about.

My thought is maybe the inner boot is on wrong. It snaps on from the back to front and maybe that's on wrong.

Quick Reply: Transmission crooked