Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transmission cooler mounting question

Old 08-06-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission cooler mounting question

Having a bit of a cooling issue on my LS. Only thing in front of the grill is the winch control box, down very low. All original skirts and fan shroud are used with aluminum radiator. I do have a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator as normal. Was wondering if I could mount the cooler down low horizontal to radiator basically behind the lower rail the the cooler is now mounted to. I have included a pic of the way mine is mounted, found on the internet as I did not have a pic. Will this placement still work for cooling of the transmission? Reason I am looking at it is to get rid of the cooler being right in front of the middle of the radiator. Maybe it wont make any difference but not sure, so I thought I would see what all of you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler_mounted.JPG
Views:	2090
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	654058  
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see mud below your cooler on your radiator. Take the plastic off the top and bottom and give it a good rinse. Very well good be as simple as that. I've also heard of RV misters working well. Put them next to your fan so it shoots a cool mist.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riflejk
I can see mud below your cooler on your radiator. Take the plastic off the top and bottom and give it a good rinse. Very well good be as simple as that. I've also heard of RV misters working well. Put them next to your fan so it shoots a cool mist.
Actually not a pic of mine, I did not have one and found this one on the net that is mounted like mine. But I have power wash the a/c condenser and transmission cooler out before reinstalling them.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I get the same over heating issue on my 3.8l. I put hood louver on hood, but still over heated and had coolant coming out of over flow tube. Need to change fluid and see if that helps. If not will buy small round one saw some where. Or go mech fan.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
I get the same over heating issue on my 3.8l. I put hood louver on hood, but still over heated and had coolant coming out of over flow tube. Need to change fluid and see if that helps. If not will buy small round one saw some where. Or go mech fan.
When are you overheating? How many miles? Ever done the thermostat simple fix two bolts cheap part. Pull the plastic off the bottom off your rad and rinse it good. There's also plastic on the front dirt hides behind there. Rinse both sides and rinse good. I don't suggest a power washer. You may have to take the fan shroud off the back to get in there good.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

When are you overheating? How many miles? Ever done the thermostat simple fix two bolts cheap part. Pull the plastic off the bottom off your rad and rinse it good. There's also plastic on the front dirt hides behind there. Rinse both sides and rinse good. I don't suggest a power washer. You may have to take the fan shroud off the back to get in there good.
i have it boil out of over flow tube when crawling on trails, street and every where else, is fine. Makes me think heat from aux trans cooler, is be transfer'ed to radiator.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said you have an LS, are you using the stock JK radiator? Maybe you need a 2 or 3 core radiator.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jchappies
You said you have an LS, are you using the stock JK radiator? Maybe you need a 2 or 3 core radiator.
op has ls, i have 3.8 with same trans cooler.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GunDude
op has ls, i have 3.8 with same trans cooler.
Yeah I have same cooler and have NO issue overheating in SOCAL 100+ temps outside.

If the OP is using a stock radiator with an LS motor his overheating issue may not be because of trans cooler but because radiator is to small.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jchappies
Yeah I have same cooler and have NO issue overheating in SOCAL 100+ temps outside.

If the OP is using a stock radiator with an LS motor his overheating issue may not be because of trans cooler but because radiator is to small.

Aftermarket aluminum radiator.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler mounting question