Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late post, but with 37 inch tires, 5.13 gears would not make the drive shaft spin any faster than my 4.11's with 32 inch tires.

The engine RPM at 85 is about the same, the 5.13 don't take effect till inside the axle.

So 40 inch tires with 5.38s at 85 would still spin the shaft at about the same speed.

Lets keep the gear ratio modifier where it belongs.. inside the axle.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKinNNY
Sorry guys, I'm going to side with Redneck. The spec's of TrailBud's Jeep are tailored for off-road, not highway. Speeds in excess of 65-75 mph for long periods of time with a package tailored for SERIOUS off-road, you're asking for trouble. Everything rotates faster and thus will break down sooner. The out of balance driveshaft would have reared it's ugly head at some point down the road, it just came sooner because of the excessive speed.

TrailBud, why aren't you asking the manufacturer for reimbursement of damages due to a defective product?
ditto, u put 40's and 5.38's on it and u really should keep it on the dirt not doing 70mph+ on the highway. jmho
Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Man, I can't believe the T-case came apart like that.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I would say 90% or more of the people on this forum drive their jeeps over 75mph on a regular basis.
I'm in your 10% range and mine is still stock
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foo
Sorry for the late post, but with 37 inch tires, 5.13 gears would not make the drive shaft spin any faster than my 4.11's with 32 inch tires.

The engine RPM at 85 is about the same, the 5.13 don't take effect till inside the axle.

So 40 inch tires with 5.38s at 85 would still spin the shaft at about the same speed.

Lets keep the gear ratio modifier where it belongs.. inside the axle.
X2

Good call here

I read through this whole thread and it didn't dawn on me that the drive shaft speed would be the same.
However, the engine RPM, Transmission Ratio, and Transfer case ratio is what determines driveshaft speed!

So unless he changed one of those the only modification that counts here is driveline angle.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also I have had mine to ~98mph no probs when mostly stock

Current condition just a wee bit flighty!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork
I'm in your 10% range and mine is still stock
im in the 10% as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having spent a lot of time in law enforcement and seeing the comments about the speeds just makes me want to puke with some Jeep owners. Stupid is as Stupid does! Sorry about that but the shoe fits a number of folks! As to the actual true speed rating of tires, you best check the OEM manufactures. Most are not rated about 80 MPH. This U Joint looks like it had not been maintained properly with lubrication or the angle was off.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, guess this thread is back in full force... It's all about location, folks. As others have mentioned, in many southwest states the speed limits are very high and if you can't hang at about 85 or 90, you will get run over. Even cops have tailgated me for going 70.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
Wow, guess this thread is back in full force... It's all about location, folks. As others have mentioned, in many southwest states the speed limits are very high and if you can't hang at about 85 or 90, you will get run over. Even cops have tailgated me for going 70.
well damn it the cops for one should not tailgate you ever I'm sure that ya'll are running too damn fast in californication. we have a posted minimum speed on the interstate highways and I'm sure you do too. as long as you are faster than that minimum speed if someone runs into you from the rear it is their fault. not yours for going too slow.

Quick Reply: Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble