Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble

Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frozenman
So, what I'm reading here is that the aftermarket drive shaft voided the Jeep lifetime powertrain warranty????
Trail Bud bought his JK before the lifetime powertrain warranty.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know squat about all the harmonics and tuning and balancing of this and that. I just can't imagine driving 75-80 mph with a 4" lift on 37's for any length of time, particularly when I think about the rare, but real need to make an evasive maneuver sometimes at any higher speeds. Even getting blown by a strong cross wind makes me pucker. If I hit >70 mph, I tend to get a little white knuckled holding on tight.

Drive safely, and realize that your "comfort zone" for driving at faster speeds will be very different if something makes you change direction quickly, and even slamming on the brakes can be very difficult to control your momentum (especially if on a curving part of the road).

Did you have trouble controlling the jeep when this happened? I would have $h!t a Brick!

Good luck rectifying this. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
Did you have trouble controlling the jeep when this happened? I would have $h!t a Brick!

Good luck rectifying this. Please keep us posted.
I had no trouble at all controlling the jeep, there was a major vibration for about 2 seconds and then alot of smoke. I put it in neutral and coasted to the side of the highway.

Lucky no one was behind me to get a gear oil shower.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Trail Bud bought his JK before the lifetime powertrain warranty.
There's a laundry list of driveline modifications and rolling weight modifications that would strongly suggest bearing gifts when bringing something like this in for warranty service, or at least wearing a short skirt without your tackle hanging out.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by mmcan
I don't know squat about all the harmonics and tuning and balancing of this and that. I just can't imagine driving 75-80 mph with a 4" lift on 37's for any length of time, particularly when I think about the rare, but real need to make an evasive maneuver sometimes at any higher speeds. Even getting blown by a strong cross wind makes me pucker. If I hit >70 mph, I tend to get a little white knuckled holding on tight.
well, have to come clean and tell you that i do 75-85 mph all the time especially in places like nevada and utah where the speed limit is 75 mph. if you don't, you'll get run over by all the tractor trailers who are actually driving the slowest. truth be told, on this trip, i actually got my jeep up to 95 mph on long downhill stretches before realizing how fast i was going and slowed down.

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
I had no trouble at all controlling the jeep, there was a major vibration for about 2 seconds and then alot of smoke. I put it in neutral and coasted to the side of the highway.

Lucky no one was behind me to get a gear oil shower.
in fact, if bullfrog and i hadn't seen all your smoke, would you have known to pull over as quickly as you did?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
There's a laundry list of driveline modifications and rolling weight modifications that would strongly suggest bearing gifts when bringing something like this in for warranty service, or at least wearing a short skirt without your tackle hanging out.

"Your tackle hanging out"

You made me laugh out loud!!

My warranty expired about 800 miles ago. But my dealer was very good with me and all of my mods. They'd say it's a Rubicon it's build to do hard off roding.
I never had a warranty issue.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, have to come clean and tell you that i do 75-85 mph all the time especially in places like nevada and utah where the speed limit is 75 mph. if you don't, you'll get run over by all the tractor trailers who are actually driving the slowest. truth be told, on this trip, i actually got my jeep up to 95 mph on long downhill stretches before realizing how fast i was going and slowed down.

in fact, if bullfrog and i hadn't seen all your smoke, would you have known to pull over as quickly as you did?
If you guys didn't tell me on the CB that I was smoking I wouldn't have known what happened. And then who knows what would have happened in addition to the existing damage.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
If you guys didn't tell me on the CB that I was smoking I wouldn't have known what happened. And then who knows what would have happened in addition to the existing damage.
for sure. had you not pulled over right then and there, you most likely would have suffered a whole lot more damage to your t-case and made the fix that much more expensive. and, going back to the original point, your drive shaft seizing up and t-case blowing up did nothing to the handling of your jeep.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Did this happening going to the trail or coming home? Did you atleast go wheeling?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Did this happening going to the trail or coming home? Did you atleast go wheeling?
LOL!! we were on our way up to brianhead, utah to go snowbording/skiing and he broke down just 19 miles from mesquite, nevada.

Quick Reply: Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble