Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble

Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinny
Sorry guys, I'm going to side with Redneck. The spec's of Trail Bud's Jeep are tailored for off-road, not highway. Speeds in excess of 65-75 mph for long periods of time with a package tailored for SERIOUS off-road, you're asking for trouble. Everything rotates faster and thus will break down sooner. The out of balance drive shaft would have reared it's ugly head at some point down the road, it just came sooner because of the excessive speed.

TrailBud, why aren't you asking the manufacturer for reimbursement of damages due to a defective product?

I understand and agree with the logic your saying about the speed and drive line rotation. If there were major issues with the drive line spinning that fast it seems that they would warn you not to go above a certain RPM or speed. If it wasn't designed for it. I agree it will wear out faster, but it shouldn't fail.

As for the warranty or equivalent. JE Reel gives a 30 day warranty. I installed it in August. I talked to them and I'm out of warranty per them. Bad luck.
I am going to send them a picture and see what they say.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
I'm not going to scold the OP like everyone else, but just reiterate his piece of advice as well as my own piece of advice and you can disregard at your own risk:
  • Get your driveline balanced if needed
  • Do not exceed nominal high way speed (65 mph) when setup for offroad use
That's good advice.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

That's a ton of driveline stress at those speeds, likely bouncing between 3-4,000 rpms with an automatic and at the peak torque of the engine. Meat at each corner weighing in at nearly 100lbs and it certainly lends itself to multiple culprits which could extend well beyond an out of balance drive shaft.

Obviously whatever happened pushed the limits of the transfer case and provides some guidance when people should be looking at a third party product. I'm glad it didn't lead to any other catastrophes other than the wallet.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My post wasn't meant to "scold". I guess I should have expounded a little. I know a good bit about driveshafts, as I've worked in a driveshaft specialty shop building them before. We need to understand something here. Driveshafts are balanced at a certain speed. Say 100 MPH to make it simple, ok? Although that's on the high side. You usually don't see people balance them that high, although some do. Now, you throw those 5.13 gears in and what happens to the drive shaft speed? Yeah, it increases. Now, we have a driveshaft MUCH more capable of spinning out of it's balanced range. Am I making sense, now? Trail Bud clearly said he was going 85 at one point. With 5.13 gears, I can assure you those driveshafts were way out of their balanced speed range. Was that the cause of what happened? Hell if I know. I'm sittin here at this computer. I promise you one thing though.....speed WAS a contributor. Maybe the transfer case was gonna puke no matter what, maybe not. Expecting driveshafts to hold up no matter what though is a stretch indeed.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 01-01-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I have to respectfully disagree with you here Redneck. They are very much designed to go with the flow, and not designed to go slow.

It's one thing if you have it in 4wd and are going that fast, but these aren't yugos we're driving. They are designed to reach highway speeds.

Granted, it may or may not be a good idea after you have upgraded shafts, gears, and whatnot - but the blanket statement that jeeps aren't designed to go fast is absolutely false.

I would say 90% or more of the people on this forum drive their jeeps over 75mph on a regular basis. I have put at least 20k miles over 80mph on mine.
That's ok, you can do that. I've been wrong before....I'll stick around and see if it happens again. LOL
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

lets ge back on topic and drop the speed issue.

Thats sucks man! Didnt you break your front axle too?? What kinda luck is that!

I'm now even happier that I have the spyntec kit on my JK. I dont have to worry about the front shaft being balanced perfectly.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
My post wasn't meant to "scold". I guess I should have expounded a little. I know a good bit about driveshafts, as I've worked in a driveshaft specialty shop building them before. We need to understand something here. Driveshafts are balanced at a certain speed. Say 100 MPH to make it simple, ok? Although that's on the high side. You usually don't see people balance them that high, although some do. Now, you throw those 5.31 gears in and what happens to the drive shaft speed? Yeah, it increases. Now, we have a driveshaft MUCH more capable of spinning out of it's balanced range. Am I making sense, now? Trail Bud clearly said he was going 85 at one point. With 5.13 gears, I can assure you those driveshafts were way out of their balanced speed range. Was that the cause of what happened? Hell if I know. I'm sittin here at this computer. I promise you one thing though.....speed WAS a contributor. Maybe the transfer case was gonna puke no matter what, maybe not. Expecting driveshafts to hold up no matter what though is a stretch indeed.

I agree with your reasoning, but should the drive shaft fail and break or should it just wear out much faster due to the extreme spinning?

Now since your a professional in this area I'd like your opinion.
Should these drive shafts with 5:13 gears or higher be balanced for highway speeds? would that help?
also, if you balance it at 100 mph then you should have no wobble and this should not have happened. It should be just excessive wear on the u joints not failing or cracking?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
lets ge back on topic and drop the speed issue.

Thats sucks man! Didnt you break your front axle too?? What kinda luck is that!

I'm now even happier that I have the spyntec kit on my JK. I dont have to worry about the front shaft being balanced perfectly.
Yes I was the one with the broken axle too.

I always get the wierd things that happen.
Maybe I play to hard.

Last edited by Trail Bud; 01-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
Yes I was the one with the broken axle too.

I also get the wierd things that happen.
Maybe I play to hard.
or just shit luck!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Warranty

So, what I'm reading here is that the aftermarket drive shaft voided the Jeep lifetime powertrain warranty????

Quick Reply: Transfer case shattered by front drive line wobble