Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case output shaft seal leak. bearring?

Old 12-17-2015 | 09:49 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Default Transfer case output shaft seal leak. bearring?

Just installed PR 44 f & PR 60 rear with Adams ds. Shortly after I took 300mile trip to phnx and the tcase began to leak at the the rear shaft.

I changed out the rear seal and will be changing the sleeve but think that'll do it either. All the posts on the issue involve exploded tcases. As i have the perfect set up for a busted tcase with 5.13 & 37" at 3.5 lift i worried for the tcase but that doesn't seem the be the case here, yet. Instead Im thinking the bearing is allowing some seepage through. What do you think?

I dont feel much play with the shaft though. And it looked well in place when I looked while changing the seal.

Cant find write ups on changing out the rear tcase bearing. An thing more than removing the yoke, oring, cover and pulling the bearing? Any videos or diy out there?

Everytime I thought I had figured out...

Last edited by Acdcfiend; 07-08-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2015 | 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Acdcfiend
Just installed PR 44 f & PR 60 rear with Adams ds. Shortly after I took 300mile trip to phnx and the tcase began to leak at the the rear shaft.

I changed out the rear seal and will be changing the sleeve but think that'll do it either. All the posts on the issue involve exploded tcases. As i have the perfect set up for a busted tcase with 5.13 & 37" at 3.5 lift i worried for the tcase but that doesn't seem the be the case here, yet. Instead Im thinking the bearing is allowing some seepage through. What do you think?

I dont feel much play with the shaft though. And it looked well in place when I looked while changing the seal.

Cant find write ups on changing out the rear tcase bearing. An thing more than removing the yoke, oring, cover and pulling the bearing? Any videos or diy out there?

Dupe post

Last edited by DigitalPunk; 12-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2015 | 02:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Acdcfiend

Whenever I change a yoke out on a jk t case there is always fluid that leaks out because it's the oil is filled above the level of the seal. It could just be residual fluid leftover from swapping yoked. Wipe it up and see if it keeps leaking. Sometime the seals have to reset themself to the new yoke. A good cup of fluid always comes out. Did you change to a new yoke with the new drive shaft?

Also, if it is a new yoke did you add silicone to the splines? Fluid can leak throgh the splines.

Last edited by DigitalPunk; 12-18-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2015 | 12:41 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

I cleaned up real good before changing out the old seal and did it again after that started leaking again.

I did install a new yoke and reapplied silicon to the fat oring under the output bolt when i installed the new ds and after switching out the seal.

It's definitely leaking from between the seal and the sleeve. That's what appears to drip first as I stop and check every few miles after cleaning.

Im going to get a new set to of bearings and try installing it but wanted to know what to expect once I pull the yoke and cover off the rear shaft.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2015 | 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Why is that the perfect combo for it exploded transfer case? I'm about to swap shafts myself and I'm going to have to replace the yolks on the transfer case what should I be looking out for before I even get started?
Old 12-19-2015 | 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak
Veteran: Air Force

I had a similar problem after installing a new t case yoke. Once I removed the yoke, I made sure to add rtv to the splines as well as to the yoke nut. It hasn't leaked since.
Old 12-19-2015 | 10:00 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Why is that the perfect combo for it exploded transfer case? I'm about to swap shafts myself and I'm going to have to replace the yolks on the transfer case what should I be looking out for before I even get started?
Something about vibration in the tcase after aftermarket ds install and a +3.5 lift Putting stress on the tcase output shaft. Highway speeds make it reach a certain vibration, the tcase eventually blows up and dies.

Another transfer case explosion/fire

http://www.kJ-forum.com/modified-jk-...ploded-138605/

Shutterbug, ill try that next time I remove the yoke.
Old 12-21-2015 | 06:43 PM
JK Junkie

What are your rear driveshaft angles? Getting that wrong will break a t case in half.

Also, how did you torque the yoke? If you want to some random ft lb torque, that's a fail.
Old 12-21-2015 | 07:00 PM
JK Freak

I can see this vibration issue with stock arms but if you have adjustable arms this should be easy to avoid. They are adjustable so adjust them to a correct pinion angle.

Northridge 4x4
Old 12-24-2015 | 09:25 PM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

i do have a steep rear angle on my DS but apparently that wasn't it.

I happen to call Adams ds to ask about their tcase yoke, or rather the sleeve on it. James at Adams ds made me realize I made a mistake by leaving the oring in the rear yoke. Big no, no since it it allows movement in the yoke.

After that didn't work Adams ds offered to change it out. Since I happened to be going through vegas I went in to their shop in person. After meeting with James he got one of his guys right on it and measured the yoke and pointed out the high angle on the rear ds. Having changed out the yoke fixed the leak!

250 hwy miles later, no leak.

Prior to this I torqued the nut with the impact followed by the torque wrench.

I don't have adjustable arms but looks like that's next if I don't want the t case to blow up.

Thanks for the great input!

Thanks to the hardworking folks at Adams!

They even removed my front ds and resized it since it hadent been after intalling the PR 44. Also, saw first hand the production line of

Last edited by Acdcfiend; 07-08-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer case output shaft seal leak. bearring?