Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case linkage issues

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostjk
@ ky-wrangler the bushing pictured would not be visible under the jeep. That part is under the center console connected to the lever you move to put your jeep in 4x4. If you are looking under neath the jeep all should appear normal. Is there tension in your lever or does it feel like its not hooked up to anything?
It just flops back and forth with absolutely no tension.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok then the bushing in the linkage is broken as pictured above. Or at least 99.9 percent chance that's what it is. If u remove the four bolts holding your center console down under all that u would see the picture that guy took for u
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, there is the same bushing at BOTH ends of cable and on my jeep they both failed at same time. Thank goodness i was stuck in 2wd which allowed me to cuss at it at home instead of on the trail!

I made my own bushings and used stainless hardware from lowes so this will not happen to me again. The factory cable is fine, the little factory bushings disentegrate when u look at them funny. Aweful design.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Both of mine were broken. Martin Jeep in Bowling Green, KY was awesome. They replace both in like an hour and a half for 97 bucks. I think the next time I will do it myself.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default mine broke as well

Was heading up a road my civic could almost be on came across a large stretch of mud, put it in 4-hi and when i went to take it out...... nothing I was stuck in 4-hi.

Thank you fellow Jeepers because of you I knew about this issue and had a basic knowledge of how to get it back into 2hi.

Is this install as simple as clipping it back on?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junoh
Was heading up a road my civic could almost be on came across a large stretch of mud, put it in 4-hi and when i went to take it out...... nothing I was stuck in 4-hi.

Thank you fellow Jeepers because of you I knew about this issue and had a basic knowledge of how to get it back into 2hi.

Is this install as simple as clipping it back on?

What end did it break on?
Under the Jeep it is "easier" to work with, make sure the exhaust is cool though, burns suck.
If it is in the JK it is a PITA but can be done in about an hour or so. Getting the shifter off is tough, don't punch yourself in the face. Pull straight up on it. A few bolts and you need to unhook some wiring as well.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dynomax
What end did it break on?
Under the Jeep it is "easier" to work with, make sure the exhaust is cool though, burns suck.
If it is in the JK it is a PITA but can be done in about an hour or so. Getting the shifter off is tough, don't punch yourself in the face. Pull straight up on it. A few bolts and you need to unhook some wiring as well.
It's under the jeep.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to need to check to see if this is the issue with mine. I'm having a hard time getting from 4-HI to 4-LO, and once i'm in 4-LO, seems even more difficult to get it back.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thought I'd post a pic of that plastic clip installed on a not so clean jeep

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-541391385.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	345341
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the advance adapters cable. It is a nice and sure replacement. It does take a bit of time to do but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Transfer case linkage issues