Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer Case Leaking - JE REEL Flange issues?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had 4 Wheel Parts look at the transfer case leak today and they didn't help that much Their tech seems to think that the rear output bearing may be bad and allowing the fluid to leak out.

They replaced the rear output shaft seal 2 weeks ago and it didn't fix the leak.

Anyone know about the transfer case bearing or what possibly could be wrong?

I also called Jim at Reel Drivelines and he said to tighten the flange nut down more. I'm not sure how much more it can be done.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Had 4 Wheel Parts look at the transfer case leak today and they didn't help that much Their tech seems to think that the rear output bearing may be bad and allowing the fluid to leak out.

They replaced the rear output shaft seal 2 weeks ago and it didn't fix the leak.

Anyone know about the transfer case bearing or what possibly could be wrong?

I also called Jim at Reel Drivelines and he said to tighten the flange nut down more. I'm not sure how much more it can be done.
The Teraflex install guide said to tighten the transfer case nuts to 90 to 130 ft lbs. I did the front at 135 (wasn't paying attention!) and the rear at 90 and it's the rear that is barely leaking on mine.
I'm going to replace the seal and torque it to 130 and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by edwin907
The Teraflex install guide said to tighten the transfer case nuts to 90 to 130 ft lbs. I did the front at 135 (wasn't paying attention!) and the rear at 90 and it's the rear that is barely leaking on mine.
I'm going to replace the seal and torque it to 130 and see what happens.
Thanks for the info, I have changed the seal out once with no luck!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 AM
JK Freak

Any updates from either of you - still leaking?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kflash
Any updates from either of you - still leaking?
Put the stock one back on and no leak.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My transfer case was definitely overfilled from the factory, after checking it and having a very significant amount of fluid run out of the fill plug. And this wasn't just due to the elimination of rake, it lost maybe a third of a gear lube bottle!
It still leaks a drop here and there but just barely.
I've got a brand new seal to put on it, but since I've yet to even have to add fluid I'm just monitoring it closely.
And when I install the new seal, I think I'll use the high end of the torque specs. If it still leaks, I'll get a different transfer case flange.

I'll have to add I couldn't be happier with my JE Reel 1310HD/yokes front, and 1350/yoke & flange rear driveshafts. I get less vibration with these shafts than I got with the factory drivelines with the rear pinion pointed at the flange and the front caster at 7.1 degrees.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Lee
JK Enthusiast

Anybody ever figure out what the fix is? I'm also leaking. It seems to be worse after highway driving. The front is dry, but the back is leaking.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

I was driving down the highway about seventy and my front end locked up completely after it made a vibration and i pulled over to the side of the road.
After i had it towed to my house i drove it off after it was let off the rollback. What could this be?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Put the stock one back on and no leak.
Did JE Reel replace the flange for you yet?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up with my JK sitting dead in the driveway for a month due to a JE Reel flange that didn't fit. When the inside was machined, somehow the inside splines were tapered and it didn't allow the flange to fully seat on the output shaft. Jim said he'd never heard of that one before. Hmmm The transfer case was about half empty by the time the flange showed up. I switched to Woods as soon as I could justify it.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Leaking - JE REEL Flange issues?