Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer Case Leaking - JE REEL Flange issues?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Leaking - JE REEL Flange issues?

Does anyone know how to stop the transfer case from leaking? I have installed a JE REEL rear shaft and I've had a leak from the transfer case. I have replaced the seal on the transfer case and it is still leaking.

Upon looking at the stock flange I see there is a rubber seal inside the flange. My new JE REEL does not have it. Is there supposed to be another seal used or what? I'm totally lost and can't get the leak to stop.

Please HELP!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the same leak with my rear JE Reel 1350 transfer case flange. My front 1310/yokes on the transfer case has never lost a drop. The pinions are also totally leak free.
It didn't leak at all initially, but then started to leak just a little.

First time I checked the fluid level it was significantly over the fill plug, maybe it's slightly overfilled or maybe it's because of the lack of rake in the now lifted 2 door. Anyway, let the level drain to the plug's lower opening and capped it back up. Didn't really expect that to solve the leak, but it is very slight.

So I ran it quite a bit more and it doesn't seem to leak as much, and not at all until it gets warmed up. I get maybe 2 drops on the pavement after parking following a 50 mile drive, but there is also a bit on the bottom of the case and on the skid.
Still no apparent change in the fluid level after 450 miles, but I have gotten a new seal to install from the dealership parts counter.
I am essentially certain it is passing between the flange and seal, no evidence of it coming pass the nut that holds the flange to the transfer case output shaft.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

My leak is coming from where the flange and seal meet. There is fluid everywhere underneath the Jeep near the transfer case. After parking fluid leaks down onto the ground.

I'm going as far to park with the front of the Jeep down hill so the fluid dosen't leak out while parked!

I have attempted to fix this a few times, had 4 wheel parts look at it twice (paid them once) and spoke to Jim at Reel Drivelines about it. I guess I'll try to get another flange and see if that helps!

:confused: repeat!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was actually going to replace my seal tonight and haven't even started because I was waiting to hear what you said!
But yours is obviously leaking more than mine, much more. I don't even have measureable fluid loss yet.

I don't know how it could leak past that output shaft seal parked on level ground, as the fluid level at the fill hole is much lower than the lowest point of the seal. Are you sure it's not leaking out of the case somewhere?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whew!! toooo Many beers...If ya think it's a D/L issue call Jim at JE Reel 909-629-9002. A real good guy!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Anyone else have some insight to this problem?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i know that some of the earlier flanges weren't tapered in along the inside edge and so it would catch the edge of the seal causing it to leak. newer flanges are tapered in a bit like factory and do not have this problem. if you have an older flange, you may need to get it replaced.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Default New or Old Flange?

Anyone know if this is the new flange?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

actually, that looks like a new one so that shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-01-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
actually, that looks like a new one so that shouldn't be the problem.
Thanks for the info, I guess it time for someone else to look at it.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Leaking - JE REEL Flange issues?