Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer case just exploded!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im willing to bet it was A fucked up Gear install causing a lockup of the t-case through the driveshaft locking up.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Im willing to bet it was A fucked up Gear install causing a lockup of the t-case through the driveshaft locking up.
Hoping you are right!! Guy is a good guy and came out to the highway where I was stranded and waited with me till AAA got there to pick up my jeep. He also followed it back to his shop where it currently is right now. He was just as dumb-founded as I was about it. He has been in the business a long time and has never seen this before.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
That is what I'm thinking.

The pinion bearings froze up or the crush sleeve was not set right and the transfer case was weaker than the pinion shaft. So it went first.

Really want to know if that is what happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Would something like that happen quickly or after a while?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i totally disagree. i have personally seen MANY transfercases break and ALL have been due to drive shaft failures.

can you post any pics? can you tell me if the accordian looking black boot on your rear drive shaft was torn? also, can you verify that the break happend at the rear pinion cv joint and NOT the pinion "gear" which would be inside your differential and impossible to see unless you opened up your pumpkin?
WOL I did take a few pics with my cell so I will post them for your viewing pleasure. If I remember correctly the boot wasn't torn but the slip splines were showing.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Would something like that happen quickly or after a while?
There are so many varibles at play here. There is not really a "time frame" of which this can/would occur
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tattedfire
So I go to pick up my jeep after having 5:13 gears put in and get on the highway to head back home and BAM!! Jeep was tacking 3000 rpm going 70 in 6th gear. Transfer case is cracked wide open down the canter. It sheared the rear pinion gear so my DS is dangling. Front DS is still intact. WTH happened here?! Some info: stock DS's and fixed CA's. Other info in my signature. I'm guessing the gearing was too much? Should have gone with 4:56 or 4:88 maybe? Jeep does and will be driven on highway. Any help is appreciated.
Gear ratio has nothing to do with T-case failure - UNLESS they installed different ratio gears in the front and rear. This is by far the most common cause of a T-case failure. It is too much of coinsedence here. Another option is that you failed to break in the gears (I was told "starts and stops with cool downs for 300 miles and nothing over 65"). Going 70 right off the bat could have caused warpage in the ring gear and then for it to lock up, causing the DL and subsequent T-case failures.

Sorry to hear about the problems - did they give you any ring and pinion break in procedures?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers

Gear ratio has nothing to do with T-case failure - UNLESS they installed different ratio gears in the front and rear. This is by far the most common cause of a T-case failure. It is too much of coinsedence here. Another option is that you failed to break in the gears (I was told "starts and stops with cool downs for 300 miles and nothing over 65"). Going 70 right off the bat could have caused warpage in the ring gear and then for it to lock up, causing the DL and subsequent T-case failures.

Sorry to hear about the problems - did they give you any ring and pinion break in procedures?
Sure didn't.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Originally Posted by planman
That is what I'm thinking.

The pinion bearings froze up or the crush sleeve was not set right and the transfer case was weaker than the pinion shaft. So it went first.

Really want to know if that is what happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Hoping you are right!! Guy is a good guy and came out to the highway where I was stranded and waited with me till AAA got there to pick up my jeep. He also followed it back to his shop where it currently is right now. He was just as dumb-founded as I was about it. He has been in the business a long time and has never seen this before.
just to confirm, you said that your drive shaft broke, correct? and, i still haven't heard a clear answer to this but, it broke at the pinion flange/joint, correct? if so, i would have a hard time believing that the break was caused to some kind of gear install error. i have suffered many different types of differential failures from seized up bearing to blown out gears and NONE of them have resulted in a drive shaft break.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

WOL I did take a few pics with my cell so I will post them for your viewing pleasure. If I remember correctly the boot wasn't torn but the slip splines were showing.
is it safe to assume this was because one of the clamps had gotten damaged or torn off? also, how long were they exposed like that?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

sorry this happened,i hope you get back up and running soon.
man i hate these xfer case exploding threads....scaryand confusing
anxiously awaiting pics

Quick Reply: Transfer case just exploded!!!