Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

transfer case exploded

Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bajajeeper
Got an update for transfer case breakage. center joint in front double cardan driveshaft that takes the needle fitting for grease never got serviced. When it failed, it locked up the joint and broke the front out of the transfer case. Expensive lesson learned, but not the equipments fault. My fault for lack of appropriate maintenance. Anyway, i'll be greasing those at 1,000 mile intervals from here on out. thanks for the input.
Ok, How do I grease the front center joint. I know to use a needle fitting, but where am I shooting the grease.

Last edited by dsp; 02-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if i'm reading this correctly, you say that you've had these shafts on since 2007? just out of curiosity, when was the last time you serviced your centering ball and checked your u-joints? depending on your location and how much water/salt they see, checking/changing out u-joints once every 2 years is something you should be doing. could be that the bearing in one or more of the joints were toast and finally ceased up.
My wife has 83k on the odometer, should I replace her front ds ujoint? And if so, what should I use? Get one from the dealer, or go aftermarket.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dsp
Ok, How do I grease the front center joint. I know to use a needle fitting, but where and I shooting the grease.

My wife has 83k on the odometer, should I replace her front ds ujoint? And if so, what should I use? Get one from the dealer, or go aftermarket.
Stock shafts - there are no zerks. When the joints go bad, you replace the shaft.
Aftermaket Double Cardans - you pull the shaft off so you can actually get to the fitting, then use a needle.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and they try to argue the man down, eddie you nailed it when you first responded, dont worry brother i trusted you from the jump. i would almost be willing to bet... you smiled a lil, i know i sure did
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 AM
JK Freak

Glad the OP figured out his problem and that maintenance goes a long way

I am not understanding something here.
WOL mentioned to use yokes. But why is this?

I have Rubicon Express driveshafts front and rear on a 4.5" lift. the frnt has a replacement yoke and the rear has a replacement flange adapter. are you suppose to be able to run a yoke on the rear also? well either way, I have now run these shafts with zero issues on and offroad for nearly 3 years over 60,000 miles. for whatever reason I never hear anything about RE driveshafts. they are 1310 and 1311 with Spicer parts
Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Can you check to see if your bearing seized too?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RIver Runner
and they try to argue the man down, eddie you nailed it when you first responded, dont worry brother i trusted you from the jump. i would almost be willing to bet... you smiled a lil, i know i sure did
Im not arguing the man down, I am having a discussion. Maybe you should get a mind of your own.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bajajeeper
Got an update for transfer case breakage. center joint in front double cardan driveshaft that takes the needle fitting for grease never got serviced. When it failed, it locked up the joint and broke the front out of the transfer case. Expensive lesson learned, but not the equipments fault. My fault for lack of appropriate maintenance. Anyway, i'll be greasing those at 1,000 mile intervals from here on out. thanks for the input.
I find this hard to believe, im not knocking you. No one is wanting to admit why these trasfer cases are blowing up so they just continue to make up reasons. It probably seized up after it broke apart.

Last edited by Ryanc; 02-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I find this hard to believe, im not knocking you. No one is wanting to admit why these trasfer cases are blowing up so they just continue to make up reasons. It probably seized up after it broke apart. There is no freaking way a u joint seizing caused that.
I would like to hear your thoughts why there is "no freaking way". The transfer case is cast aluminum. The u-joints, R&P, and associated hardware are all hardened. The aftermarker DS is a hollow steel shaft that is extremely rigid. The weak point very well could be the t-case, especially if already cracked. Cracked from casting defect, vibrations, or repeated shock loads it really does not matter. I have seen cast iron differentials break also, but they are harder than cast aluminum.

I would have to physically inspect the parts before I would comment on this exact failure. I'm just saying the transfer case failure is plausible. If any part of the rotating mass locked up it would find the weakest link really quick.

Edit: It does not take much for two pieces of hardened steel to gauld and seize together. The lack of lubrication to a point like this will cause extreme binding.

Last edited by toymaster; 02-06-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I find this hard to believe, im not knocking you. No one is wanting to admit why these trasfer cases are blowing up so they just continue to make up reasons. It probably seized up after it broke apart. There is no freaking way a u joint seizing caused that.
Actually, I can understand exactly how a bad u-joint on a double card design could induce high frequency vibrations. That aluminum transfer can easily break apart when high frequency vibrations are induced.

Quick Reply: transfer case exploded