Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

transfer case exploded

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanc
J reel has a shaft they have been testing that uses the cv from RCV, last I heard, the orange dome thing was not withstanding the heat. I think eventually they will fix this minor issue. At least I hope so. I think those that are wary like me to use the current aftermarket driveshafts out there, prolonging the stock by yanking it out when not needing 4wd is a viable option. It only takes a few minutes to take on and off, unfotunately not as fast as lockouts.
Saw that a while back and I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I hope they get it figured out the ball and socket approach seems like it would help with the extreme angles.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Saw that a while back and I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I hope they get it figured out the ball and socket approach seems like it would help with the extreme angles.
there is a reason why they haven't been able to figure it out and it's because it can't be done or, at least, not in the way they are trying to go about it with the rcv joint. unlike an axle shaft, a drive shaft spins much faster and depending on what gear ratio you are running, significantly so. in the case of 5.13 or 5.38 gears, this spinning will be more than 5x as fast. this is the reason why the factory shafts have CV joints that are encased in metal with a rubber boot recessed inside - the metal housing is the only thing that can withstand the extreme forces being placed on it and be able to keep the grease inside. even if this could be figured out, the question that needs to be asked is at what cost? certainly, i can't image it would be cheap and neither would servicing it. also, coming from a guy like me who has blown drive shaft joints in the past, i'm not sure i'd want a joint this strong as i'd hate to think what would blow if it didn't. but hey, that's just me.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
there is a reason why they haven't been able to figure it out and it's because it can't be done or, at least, not in the way they are trying to go about it with the rcv joint. unlike an axle shaft, a drive shaft spins much faster and depending on what gear ratio you are running, significantly so. in the case of 5.13 or 5.38 gears, this spinning will be more than 5x as fast. this is the reason why the factory shafts have CV joints that are encased in metal with a rubber boot recessed inside - the metal housing is the only thing that can withstand the extreme forces being placed on it and be able to keep the grease inside. even if this could be figured out, the question that needs to be asked is at what cost? certainly, i can't image it would be cheap and neither would servicing it. also, coming from a guy like me who has blown drive shaft joints in the past, i'm not sure i'd want a joint this strong as i'd hate to think what would blow if it didn't. but hey, that's just me.
5x as fast, actually the difference between 4.1 gear to 5.13 is really only a 25% increase in driveshaft speed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Ryanc
5x as fast, actually the difference between 4.1 gear to 5.13 is really only a 25% increase in driveshaft speed.
ummm, 5x as fast as your "axle shaft" - that is what an rcv joint is made for. for every one revolution of your axle, your drive shaft spins 5.13 times. the rcv joint with it's plastic cover is not capable of withstanding drive shaft speeds.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
ummm, 5x as fast as your "axle shaft" - that is what an rcv joint is made for. for every one revolution of your axle, your drive shaft spins 5.13 times. the rcv joint with it's plastic cover is not capable of withstanding drive shaft speeds.
Misread your statement, sorry.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Got an update for transfer case breakage. center joint in front double cardan driveshaft that takes the needle fitting for grease never got serviced. When it failed, it locked up the joint and broke the front out of the transfer case. Expensive lesson learned, but not the equipments fault. My fault for lack of appropriate maintenance. Anyway, i'll be greasing those at 1,000 mile intervals from here on out. thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bajajeeper
Got an update for transfer case breakage. center joint in front double cardan driveshaft that takes the needle fitting for grease never got serviced. When it failed, it locked up the joint and broke the front out of the transfer case. Expensive lesson learned, but not the equipments fault. My fault for lack of appropriate maintenance. Anyway, i'll be greasing those at 1,000 mile intervals from here on out. thanks for the input.
And you'll still hear people argue that theres no need for manual locking hubs.

Last edited by Alaska-HWY JK; 02-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
And you'll still here people argue that theres no need for manual locking hubs.
I hear ya'. I was thinking the reason most manufacturers do not put them in is because people are to lazy to lock/unlock them along with it being cheaper for the manufacturer.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bajajeeper
Thanks for the update - it sucks you had to learn this lesson the hard way but, at least you know now.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

all this talk is what worries me...I've been to Moab the last 3 yrs and each year I rip my front DS boot..(keep getting DS replaced under warranty). I want to buy a Coast DS with new yokes but am worried about vibrations with my 4" lift and 5.13's....I don't want to have to buy front lower control arms to adjust pinion angles..I also am worried one of these times my stock front shaft will peel the tranny pan off in the middle of a trail.

So WOL do you think I'm pretty safe to just get a coast shaft with yokes and stick it on and be all ok without having to buy new adjust. arms???

Quick Reply: transfer case exploded