Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Transfer Case broke....Replacing with Atlas

Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyD
They are stating to fail because most of the after market shafts dont reuse the factory dust covers or present a new one, therefore dirt is getting into the bearing and causing failure.

I have both front and rear after market shafts from two different companies and both did NOT come with replcement dust covers. I could not reuse the factory ones becuase they didnt fit. So it is just a matter of time before mine goes.

We are just starting to see the begining of a new problem that was overlooked with the instalation of after market driveshafts. Poor design from the aftermarket driveshaft makers becuase they wanted to get their product out on the street before the other guy.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying the front t-case bearing is exposed with certain after market drive shafts. Correct?
The pictures of the failed ones show a seal still on the shaft.

Any chance you could take a picture and post it? That would be a probable cause for sure.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-10-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
This seems kind of odd because isn't this the same transfer case thats in the Ram 3500 HD with towing package etc? One would think if it could handle the stress of such a heavy truck towing a fifth wheel it should be able to handle a JK with bigger tires...
i agree, people are grabbing at straws without really knowing th cause
Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i agree, people are grabbing at straws without really knowing th cause
There is a common denominator somewhere. I think we will figure it out.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
There is a common denominator somewhere. I think we will figure it out.
i think your right, I just hate for people to cry wolf and get everyone scared about the T-case when we dont know for sure whats causing the problems.

kinda like the front axles breaking, theres only been a couple
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DizzyD
They are stating to fail because most of the after market shafts dont reuse the factory dust covers or present a new one, therefore dirt is getting into the bearing and causing failure.

I have both front and rear after market shafts from two different companies and both did NOT come with replcement dust covers. I could not reuse the factory ones becuase they didnt fit. So it is just a matter of time before mine goes.

We are just starting to see the begining of a new problem that was overlooked with the instalation of after market driveshafts. Poor design from the aftermarket driveshaft makers becuase they wanted to get their product out on the street before the other guy.
sorry but, i don't agree with this at all. the only way dust can get into the t-case is if the seal was shot and if it were shot, you would have a leak. if there is no leak, there is no way for dust to get in. there are plenty of jeeps out there old and new TJ and JK's with yokes that DO NOT have a dust shield and they do not have any issues.

so that it's clear, i have personally witnessed a t-case blow up and i got to examine the bearings after the fact - THEY WERE NOT SEIZED UP. i have also personally had a t-case start to crack and again, there was no sign of bearing failure. in every case that i have seen, t-case failuer has only been on JK's with aftermarket drive shafts and from what i can recall, all were running 5.13 gears. i should also point out that of the t-case i saw blow and on mine personally, the JK's in question were both suffering slight driveline vibrations at high speeds. if anything, the evidence point to this vibration being the cause of t-case failure.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
so that it's clear, i have personally witnessed a t-case blow up and i got to examine the bearings after the fact - THEY WERE NOT SEIZED UP. i have also personally had a t-case start to crack and again, there was no sign of bearing failure. in every case that i have seen, t-case failuer has only been on JK's with aftermarket drive shafts and from what i can recall, all were running 5.13 gears. i should also point out that of the t-case i saw blow and on mine personally, the JK's in question were both suffering slight driveline vibrations at high speeds. if anything, the evidence point to this vibration being the cause of t-case failure.
This has been my gut feeling since I posted the "recipe for disaster".

The pictures have shown a drive shaft with a double cardan at the t-case. I assume the other end at the front axle has a single joint.

Is it common to all the failures that the front joint pinion angle is significantly more than "0"?

My advice for those with this setup, would be to not drive fast until this is figured out.
Speed seems to be the final ingredient (and the easiest to modify) just prior to the explosion.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This has been my gut feeling since I posted the "recipe for disaster".

The pictures have shown a drive shaft with a double cardan at the t-case. I assume the other end at the front axle has a single joint.

Is it common to all the failures that the front joint pinion angle is significantly more than "0"?

My advice for those with this setup, would be to not drive fast until this is figured out.
Speed seems to be the final ingredient (and the easiest to modify) just prior to the explosion.
Something is going on. As soon as I got my 5.13's on 35's, noticed a strange dry bearing type noise. thought it was the jereel ds, changed back to my stocker, same noise. Dealer supposidly changed bearings chain seals, still same noise, they said my front auto locker was causing it. Took it back to the gear guys , tore apart the TFcase and said it had to be the planetaries. Found another dealer that replaced the whole TF case , still the same noise, not as bad though. I ended up just pulling the front ds and sticking it back in for wheelin only. Got my 37's and installed TF springs, which are taller than what I had( angle even greater on ds) and the noise all but went away, barely here it at all. I think it's a gear/tire/ds /lift combo. Something goes on with that front bearing, at least it seems to me like a dry bearing sound, add the vibes to it and you got a recipe for disaster. When I had the 35's on the noise started at 40mph and was really loud at 70mph. Now it's barely audible at 70
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't rule out the chain stretching from the additional stress of bigger tires and vibrating drivelines and then letting loose at high speed. In my experience back in my heavy wheeling days with Ford trucks and Broncos you would never see a failure like this with a NP205 as its a completely gear driven transfer case. I've OH them a couple of times and to tell you the truth they really didn't even need it and they were behind built 460's running 36 inch Ground Hawgs, Buckshot Mudders and Mickey Thompson MT's. The NP203 on the other hand... kaboom! and then they went in the scrap pile....
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Personally, I wouldn't rule out the chain stretching from the additional stress of bigger tires and vibrating drivelines and then letting loose at high speed. In my experience back in my heavy wheeling days with Ford trucks and Broncos you would never see a failure like this with a NP205 as its a completely gear driven transfer case. I've OH them a couple of times and to tell you the truth they really didn't even need it and they were behind built 460's running 36 inch Ground Hawgs, Buckshot Mudders and Mickey Thompson MT's. The NP203 on the other hand... kaboom! and then they went in the scrap pile....
Funny you brought that up. One of the dealer techs said because of the extra play in the front driveshaft because of my auto locker, it was causing kinda a backlash of sorts on it, he recommended lockout hubs.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Chain stretch is indeed another factor to consider. If that is the case, there would be profound evidence of damage on the chain and sprocket.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case broke....Replacing with Atlas