Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

trans help

Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans help (update 1)

Well got the lift and the tires. Took it off road to pop its cherry. Well pop it i did. she is broke and i don't know why. the tranny won't shift? its as if the clutch is permently stuck . what do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Last edited by jerzeyjeep; 04-03-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh no man!! that kinda sounds like mine it was really hard to shift and sometimes wouldnt at all. mine did it in the mornings or after a long cool down.... i havent had a problem in a couple days now just kind of went away...

clean it good and take it to the dealer

good luck bro
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

yeah wish i had a chance to clean it before it went to the dealer. the guys laughed when they say how muddy it was. they had to clean it before they could even attempt to work on it. some one told me that it might have to do with mud getting stuck up in the tranny. well it is trail rated and i never left the trail. we will just have to see.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

good luck man
Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

well here is the skinny on my truck. so far the tranny is in good shape but everything in front of it shit the bed. aperently those little slots on the bottom of the tranny are ment to suck up mud and whatever you drive over. there was mud everywhere or so says the service tech. the pressure plate is messed up. there is mud where hydrolic fluid is supposed to be and the list goes on. ok to compund the already crapy day i am having i was made aware of an oil pressure light comin on after 5 mins of running and a serious knock that they think is comin from the engine. trail rated my ass. sorry i am venting. to top it all off i was asked to call my insurance to see if they will cover it cause the dc rep was at the dealership and took note of the issue and the condition of my truck. the service guy is a huge help and seems to know his stuff so i am going to just have to wait and see.

now here is how you guys can help. if you are having problems shifting after a little trail riding you need to go to the dealer and let them know. this might be an issue that dc has to take care of. i mean why are there holes in the bottom of the tranny anyway. never seen that in the older ones.

here we go.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

yep it seems these slots on the bottom are the cause for all my headaches. i thought they are supposed to be trail rated too. i have no idea about the warranty yet. they shop manager seems to think it is going to be voided. i think not i have a few tricks up my sleve. i have read the manual fron to back and i didn't do anything that the book nor the comercials said it could do. now since i do have a lift and rather large tires dosen't negate teh fact that the jeep is supposed to handle this. thats why jeep has the damn badge. i will keep you informed of the progress. as for wiping the mud off there is no hiding the evidence the shop manager told me that mud was way up on top of the tranny where you wouldn't be able to see it. don't wait to take the truck in you might have more headaches in the long run. waiting for round two.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tranny problems

I went four wheelin drove threw a little water and now I am having transmission problems with my automatic. The tech thinks the transmission might have overheated and said these are really made for the road and if i do long four wheel drive trips i should buy a transmission cooler. It it still in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture004.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1324  
Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerzeyjeep
yep it seems these slots on the bottom are the cause for all my headaches. i thought they are supposed to be trail rated too. i have no idea about the warranty yet. they shop manager seems to think it is going to be voided. i think not i have a few tricks up my sleve. i have read the manual fron to back and i didn't do anything that the book nor the comercials said it could do. now since i do have a lift and rather large tires dosen't negate teh fact that the jeep is supposed to handle this. thats why jeep has the damn badge. i will keep you informed of the progress. as for wiping the mud off there is no hiding the evidence the shop manager told me that mud was way up on top of the tranny where you wouldn't be able to see it. don't wait to take the truck in you might have more headaches in the long run. waiting for round two.
STRAIGHT FROM DC:

"We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

DC SHOULD KNOW THAT THE MAJORITY OF WRANGLER OWNERS ARE MORE THAN LIKELY GOING TO PUT THIER JEEP TO THE TEST! HOW DID THIS ALL WORK OUT FOR YOU? HOPE EVERYTHING WENT OR IS GOING YOUR WAY.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

man... this is not good. why would they have slits like that? The older jeeps didnt did they??
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr. T
unreal.
luckily, my trans problem seems to have mostly fixed itself. i am really thinking that i had sucked water into my trans/gearbox. over time, and with heat, i am guessing that it seeped out or whatever.

funny part is. i was to the dealer a few times on this issue. i even contacted DC since my service department was getting no response. here we are, months later, and after being back at the shop yesterday, spoke to my service guy, who really is a great guy, said he has since refiled my complaint 4 times, and STILL has not gotten an answer from DC on what to do.

they need to get their act together...
I would go to the dealer and start spouting off about lemon laws. In many states three time in the shop for the same unrepaired problem is a lemon. Check your state here.

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

Quick Reply: trans help