Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trans cooler overkill?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cooler overkill?

I am hoping to get a few quick replies so I can get this done today long story short I have a tru cool 4590 aluminum stacked plate aftermarket trans cooler that I bought years ago for my Silverado that I never used and I am wanting to put a cooler in the jk can I use this one what are the possible problems I may have using this beast instead of the smaller b+m one that everyone uses this one like I said is the same design as the b+m 70268 but this one is bigger and thicker it appears to fit in the grill just fine I am just needing to know if it may cause problems with the trans or the radiator etc please tell me what you think
my jeep is an 08 JKUR with auto trans 37" tires and 5.13 gears 72000 miles (no warranty) I do a fair amount of wheeling in moab usually during the cooler months and it is my daily driver so it often sees the freeway but not every day I live in Northern Utah where temps range from 0-105 Fahrenheit
any answers as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to do this today
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

If you are worried about over-cooling the transmission, it won't happen.
I have a regular sized aux cooler in front of the radiator, with a fan on the engine pulling air through it all the time. The transmission runs in the 90°F to 130°F range whether it's -30°F or 105°F outside.

If your cooler is big enough to cover the radiator, you may have engine cooling problems and/or air conditioning performance problems. (I doubt it, though.)
All you can do is install it and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump why isn't this showing up in the what's new? Is it because of where I posted it?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If you are worried about over-cooling the transmission, it won't happen.
I have a regular sized aux cooler in front of the radiator, with a fan on the engine pulling air through it all the time. The transmission runs in the 90°F to 130°F range whether it's -30°F or 105°F outside.

If your cooler is big enough to cover the radiator, you may have engine cooling problems and/or air conditioning performance problems. (I doubt it, though.)
All you can do is install it and see what happens.
Sorry don't think my app is working I hadn't seen this when I posted the bump thank you for your quick response this won't cover the whole radiator but it is about half are there any concerns with the trans never reaching optimal temp supposed to be about 175 from what I have read?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black Jeep
Sorry don't think my app is working I hadn't seen this when I posted the bump thank you for your quick response this won't cover the whole radiator but it is about half are there any concerns with the trans never reaching optimal temp supposed to be about 175 from what I have read?
Forget about any optimal temp figures you have seen. As long as the temp reaches 80°F, it will be fine, as that is where normal shift schedule commences. Your transmission and its ATF+4 fluid will be fine.
Mine is what I consider super-cooled, and it has no problem getting to 80°F at the low temps I mentioned in the post above.

I went to the site for the cooler you have. It says it is self regulating according to fluid viscosity at various temperatures. I'm not sure how that will work with the 42RLE transmission. Will it bypass until it reaches some predetermined temp, like they state? If that's the case, and it forces your fluid temp to be that high, I would not use it. You want the temp to be as low as you can get it, above 80°F.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Forget about any optimal temp figures you have seen. As long as the temp reaches 80°F, it will be fine, as that is where normal shift schedule commences. Your transmission and its ATF+4 fluid will be fine.
Mine is what I consider super-cooled, and it has no problem getting to 80°F at the low temps I mentioned in the post above.

I went to the site for the cooler you have. It says it is self regulating according to fluid viscosity at various temperatures. I'm not sure how that will work with the 42RLE transmission. Will it bypass until it reaches some predetermined temp, like they state? If that's the case, and it forces your fluid temp to be that high, I would not use it. You want the temp to be as low as you can get it, above 80°F.
From what I have read the stack plate type like this one and the b&m one both cool more the hotter the fluid is based on viscosity not temp if the fluid is hot (thinner) it flows easier cold (thicker) it somewhat bypasses or doesn't flow through the whole cooler in order to not reach higher back pressures that is my understanding of the stack plate design

Quick Reply: Trans cooler overkill?