Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tranny question

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question

I have a 3" lift and 35" tires on a 2010 Unlimited with an automatic transmission. I recently noticed that I can put it in gear with the engine running without having my foot on the brake. This is not a daily driver for me and I have almost always out of habit had my foot on the brake when I shifted it in gear just out of habit. So with that said I am not sure when this might have begun as I have had the above work done in segments and not all at once. What could have caused this or what can I check to see why I am able to put the Jeep in gear without my foot on the brake?

Any help or something to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the auto's i've owned you could shift into gear with the foot off the brake. just not a smart thing to do.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

odd, maybe you broke the lockout somehow?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Do you mean moving between neutral and drive? Or from Park on? The only place I know of the brake lockout working is moving out of park. Maybe you've snapped that somehow? Just another device there for your safety........
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The brake lockout from Park is an electric servo device controlled by one of the Jeep's computers. The maual shows how to defeat it manually if the electrics go south.

There should be a switch on the clutch pedal to let the system know your foot is on the clutch. If that switch were to fail in a closed-circuit position, the system would always think your foot is on the clutch.

If its the switch or if the servo quit working, I'd not worry much. If its a computer problem, keep an eye out for other problems with the automated systems. A 2010 should be under warranty unless you've put a ton of miles on it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So you went from stock tires (29's or 32's?) to 35's.

Short - Narrow - Light tires
To
Tall - Wide - Heavy tires

Got me, I can't think of a reason it takes more effort to get moving...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Its when I move it from park to any other gear. I have had the center console out once, I might need to take that back apart and see if something got disconnected.

Quick Reply: Tranny question