Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tranny Cooler - Dealer Install Questions

Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Cooler - Dealer Install Questions

I am bringing my 2010 JKU in for a state inspection and am considering have them put in a external tranny cooler. Any thoughts on what this should run me? I would easily do this myself but the last thing I want is the tranny to overheat and they point to the tranny cooler (that I would have installed) and say "Warranty is void!"

I had tried a while back to get them to bite on the TSB for "international vehicles only" that dealt with adding a tranny cooler but that did not work. They wouldn't go for it.

The last I spoke with one of the guys, he said not to worry. If it breaks, its covered under warranty. My view is that the warranty won't help me when I am stranded on the beach due to an overheated tranny and the tide is coming in!

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrKenmore
I am bringing my 2010 JKU in for a state inspection and am considering have them put in a external tranny cooler. Any thoughts on what this should run me? I would easily do this myself but the last thing I want is the tranny to overheat and they point to the tranny cooler (that I would have installed) and say "Warranty is void!"

I had tried a while back to get them to bite on the TSB for "international vehicles only" that dealt with adding a tranny cooler but that did not work. They wouldn't go for it.

The last I spoke with one of the guys, he said not to worry. If it breaks, its covered under warranty. My view is that the warranty won't help me when I am stranded on the beach due to an overheated tranny and the tide is coming in!

Thanks everyone!
I just spoke w/ a dealer today about this since I got a coupon for a $15 oil change and they quoted $800. I decided to just do it myself for less than$100, there's a really good write up if you search for it that seems pretty easy.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid about $60 for a B&M tranny cooler that I installed myself. You can see it in this pic. Very easy install to do yourself.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

X2 on self installing, it isn't very difficult.

But before you run out and buy one, do a search on the J30 Recall. There was a software upgrade due to a lot of overheating issues. Several people posted that their dealerships installed a cooler for free under that (or a similar?) bulletin. Can't hurt to mention it to your dealership and see what they say.

There is also a new notification (L05) about leaking cooler lines. Wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and have them checked at the same time.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

800$ are you kidding me? That's insane!! If a girl can do this all by herself i'n about an hour then I think anyone can do this.

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler - Dealer Install Questions