Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tranny cooler

Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny cooler

I have a 2011 Rubi with an auto, and I keep hearing that you need to put a cooler on the auto so it won't overheat. Any suggestions as to which one is best, and if it is a difficult install.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 Rubi, modified and wheel it and have never overheated. I did get the "idiot light" installed through a recall notice but it has never gone off on me. I think most people that have had overheating issues are towing a lot or wheeling in 4-hi, neither which i do. Turning off overdrive seems to help from what I've read.

There are several threads here that discuss the aftermarket cooler recommendation and even install notes. here is one that talks about the B&M Cooler

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=tranny+cooler
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the idiot light turn on for me like 4 days after having the TSB for it handled. I was attempting to make some runs up Blow Sand out at Ocotillo Wells after installing my kit and tires. All I did was pull over and turn the jeep off for like 5 minutes and it went off and only came on during those attempts. Yes I was in 4 HI. Never thought about turning on the overdrive though....might've helped a bit.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LBJEEPER
I was attempting to make some runs up Blow Sand out at Ocotillo Wells after installing my kit and tires. All I did was pull over and turn the jeep off for like 5 minutes and it went off and only came on during those attempts. Yes I was in 4 HI. Never thought about turning on the overdrive though....might've helped a bit.
Turning off OD might've helped...
Blow sand isn't a very long\steep sand hill, but the whoops section at the bottom make it tough to get a good run at it, especially if there are quads in the way.

Anyways, I think a trans cooler is an inexpensive mod that could save you lots of time and money
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

With my kit and those dirt logic shocks I wasn't being too afraid of the skinny peddle haha. It might have been Devil's Slide, I get 'em confused. The longer hill was the one the tranny light came on and the shorter hill with the big whoops is where I broke the trac-bar bracket off the rear axle due to lazy welds (my bad entirely). I would do it if your going to be doing the highspeed stuff, never had issues just doing trails and highway though.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wheel very frequently and also have a 2 door auto. I have never had an overheating problem and I run the jeep all day and even competed in a 3 mile race course last weekend in 4h and never over heated. Got fourth place tho....:(
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I wheel very frequently and also have a 2 door auto. I have never had an overheating problem and I run the jeep all day and even competed in a 3 mile race course last weekend in 4h and never over heated. Got fourth place tho....:(
That is awsome I'd love to do that.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aux tranny cooler install thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...mission-Cooler

The B&H #70268 is popular among forum members and is the one I chose.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wheeling up a steep dirt hill in 4Hi drive (auto) and had the light come on. I switched out of drive to 4hi 2nd and the problem went away. Give it a try next time. It keeps the rpm's up higher thus more circulation and less heat.

Last edited by pcmasten; 03-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I have a 2010 Rubi, modified and wheel it and have never overheated. I did get the "idiot light" installed through a recall notice but it has never gone off on me. I think most people that have had overheating issues are towing a lot or wheeling in 4-hi, neither which i do. Turning off overdrive seems to help from what I've read.

There are several threads here that discuss the aftermarket cooler recommendation and even install notes. here is one that talks about the B&M Cooler

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=tranny+cooler
No true it will run well over 200* off road moving at a crawl on a warm day. Even with a cooler there is little benefit unless you install a cooling fan with it. On the Hwy I had no problem pulling a small tent trailer without the cooler. The problem was off-road. I have a Aeroforce gauge which I monitor the trans temp along with other vitals.

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler