Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trailmaster 5in lift Installed!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay sorry man... It's been one hell of a week around here. I got the PM and read through the whole thing. Actually have it printed out for the issues I need to address regarding the instructions. You're experience will pay off for future installers so don't think the pain in the ass was for nothing by any means.

Regarding some of the notes here in this thread...

PLEASE TELL ME YOU GOT THE BUSHINGS IN BY NOW!!!!

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW the Bloody heck do you get these end-links and bushings together
LOL, here's one to live and learn with. Next time you're pushing a bushing similar to that into a sleeve or rod end or something you're going to laugh at yourself!!! Trust me!!! Next time, try pushing the rubber part in first. Then once it's in, push the metal sleeve through the center... The way you're trying to do it doesn't allow for the bushing to compress/colapse to push in and yeah... It's a MOFO!!!!

Next issues: No sooner do I have everything but the rear end links in & take the Jeep for a ride .................. and then I notice the cluster says ESP overtop the BAS: this is NOT the little wavy Jeep sign you get when you hit the ESP button on/off.

And that's when I notice my steering wheel is Cockeyed about 90 degrees..........
Make sure your front axle is centered side to side under the vehicle. You can spin the heim joint in or out to center it. Once the axle is 100% centered, have the jeep aligned and that should fix you're problem. The computer is pissed right now cause your tires aren't facing the way the computer thinks they should be when the steering wheel is positioned where it's at. 100% just an alignment issue...

Lastly (for this post) is that the FRONT trackbar.... I believe it is the trackbar: mounts to the frame on the driver's side and down to the axle on the passenger side..... the driver's side was a B**CH to get in: is THAT normal????? I woulda expected some play for it to move up/down
You obviously got it on but for anyone else that may read this in the future... In general... Put the vehicle back on the ground without the vehicle installed. Unlock your steering wheel but keep your engine off. Crawl under there with the bolt in hand and kinda position it where it "should go". At the same time have a friend or kid or homeless dude turn your steering wheel one way or another and you'll see it moves the track bar either into position or away from where it should go. When you do this it'll be REALLY obvious what i'm talking about and make lining up the trackbar about a million times easier.

On the rear same thing, on the ground, get it lined up as best you can and have that homeless dude push on the side of the jeep one way or another...

Guess I didn't raise the jeep high ENOUGH on the stands. Ok back to that.
Big jeeps = big jacks and jackstands... Be lucky you weren't dealing with the rear suspension on my truck, you would've really been compaining about not being able to get it to droop out far enough!!! LOL

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ta/racked2.jpg

(yeah I know it's not a jeep... Sue me!!! LOL, but I bet I can go faster in the desert then you can!!! LOL)

And then realize I was trying to install the rears (the taller springs) in the front-- DOH!!!!! Glad I caught that...............

Get the CORRECT springs.....
Noted to self for my instructions fix...

And then the shock BOOTS the fronts were a 30 second job>>>>> The rears.......... took me a friggin good 45 minutes to get them suckers on: WHOEVER invented these dam cross-beamed-at-the-top shocks need to have an arse whoopin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER again... NEVVVVVVVVER again: I'll just go bootless
I never run boots on shocks on any of my vehicles...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
***erator

Originally Posted by deconstructionist

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW the Bloody heck do you get these end-links and bushings together???????????///

I mean the instructions just say...Install bushings into sway bar end links The bushing's ends are bigger than the diameter!!!!! I tried hitting it in, squuezing it in with a C-clamp............ Nada. nothing, no-go...... ANY help would be greatly appreciated as I'm riding around (or will be until this is resolved) without the REAR sway bar end links....

Is that a big deal? Safe?

Next issues: No sooner do I have everything but the rear end links in & take the Jeep for a ride .................. and then I notice the cluster says ESP overtop the BAS: this is NOT the little wavy Jeep sign you get when you hit the ESP button on/off.

And that's when I notice my steering wheel is Cockeyed about 90 degrees..........

She rode fine save some MAJOR sqeeeeeeeks (is that normal???????????)(if so- for how long???????)

Lastly (for this post) is that the FRONT trackbar.... I believe it is the trackbar: mounts to the frame on the driver's side and down to the axle on the passenger side..... the driver's side was a B**CH to get in: is THAT normal????? I woulda expected some play for it to move up/down

Continued......
First Take the metal sleeves out of the bushings, press the bushings into the swaybar end using a vice and then put the metal sleeves back in.

As far as the BAS ESP goes, it is related to your steering wheel being crooked. Do a search under the write up section for alignment and you will find a step by step. Piece of cake..
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

That IS the question now isn't it... whatever I do I know I'll have to also be waiting for the funds to be doing gears as well....anyone know what gears I need to run 40's?? LOL!

You come across as having a sense of humor so I'm assuming you're joking but just in case... LOL, I really would stay clear of 40" tires. IMO 37" tires are over kill for these things. I'm a HUGE fan of 35" tires but hey, that's just me...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sirhk100
You come across as having a sense of humor so I'm assuming you're joking but just in case... LOL, I really would stay clear of 40" tires. IMO 37" tires are over kill for these things. I'm a HUGE fan of 35" tires but hey, that's just me...

LOL! yeah: most of the time I'm a pretty lighthearted guy-- when I aint or if a posting sounds anything but funny/laughable/smartalicky its probably due to me NOT sleeping-- and then I'm a grumppy curmudgeon

But yes-- I was (at least for now) joking about the forty's....... I'd love 'em...but then again after throwing even the stockers aoround for this install I was bemoaning even the thought of going to 35's LOL! We'll see after I burn the stockers down and see where the funds are.... As I said yo ya' in the PM-- my wife is ALREADY having trouble gettin' in/out at this height; She did NOT think it was funny that I mentioned bigger tires ((AND)) possibly putting on a Body Lift.

Thank you Sooooooooooo much for your input on all this

Now some might be wondering what became of things:
Well... I put on the lift...looked at it and said WTF...sold it and now I'm riding a Scooter.................... NOTTTTTTTTTTTT

I hit up TWO different shops trying to get them to press in the bushings-- both said the poly ones love to tear so they preffered not to: both said to cut the bushing in half and instal. Well, on the way home I called up Trailmaster and spoke to another guy there (They have all been sooooooooo helpful and cool to deal with I might have to smack myself next time at the dealer just to remember there ARE good peeps out there...

But I digress:
Called trailmaster and they said pretty much what the shops said: 50/50 on a press in (and would be looking at thier kits and the techs and engineers all thought that the bearing WERE in before they left for the customer). Told me to go ahead and cut. Said if ANY problems arose to contact them and they'd have new part(s) out to me.........

I DID follow the directions off the link to correct the steering wheel; ALL IS GOOD....So thank you Bodo! I have some off-beat questions I'll probably ask on another thread-- no problems- just questions but for now the wheel's centered, the ESP/BAS light is off, no wierd pulling, no wierd braking....its all good.

Bracket was JUST welded up by a local shop today: had them run a second bead where I couldn't get the drill in to drill. 4 days of riding around with only the bolts holding it-- and OMG! They held!!!!! and 'nar a smidgen of movement.

I'd readily say PM me with any questions-- but if you're like me then you'll want everybody to be able to see the questions/answers for those following in furture footsteps. Also I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY wanna thank Sirhk100!!!!!!!!!! His input and time has been extroidinary!!!!!!

So over all-- The Kit= A+, the Cutomer Service= A+++, the price....well, For what I got I think that's A+ too for in comparison to what you get for other kits (or dont get)............. ANYBODY looking for a off-beat/non-standard lift...dont wanna be like the rest at 2, 3, 3.5 or 4....and dont have the 3K to do a long arm kit--- I'd tell ya' in a hearbeat to consider this kit. At 5" I dont think I'll be having any clearence issues anytime soon!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE 7/8/08

Now THAT is what I call service!

I came back from an outting to Tahoe and checked my e-mail: found one from Trailmaster asking for feedback. I filled out the min questionaire and hit submit................. I dont think it was even a hour Later I had Dale from Trailmaster calling to find out m' address to get the parts that were missing (hey....NO biggie- a grease fitting and a tube of locktite) as thier automated/online thingy dont give the techs my address. Anyway Dale took down the info and the missing parts should be here within a couple of days! Now THAt is what I call service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Trailmaster 5in lift Installed!