Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trailmaster 5in lift Installed!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailmaster 5in lift Installed!

The Before Pic

The AFTER Pic

Before:

Edit: whoops wrong pic there before

After:

I'm about 90% done...... still have some issues. More in a bit about the issues and the install

Last edited by deconstructionist; 06-28-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a huge difference! just wait till u jump another 5 inches in tire size... you'll need a ladder!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 PM
JK Freak

OK.........

so here's the good, the bad and the ugly: hoping someone can help with any/all of these issues--- as this is my first suspension install: though I'm no stranger to a wrench-- alignments and steering (and computer issues) are beyond my current knowlege base.

Some of you might have seen my post/questions before getting the lift here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...421#post566421

Well the lift was here on Wednesday and went in Part of Friday night and most of Saturday.

The BIG issues that have arisen:

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW the Bloody heck do you get these end-links and bushings together???????????///

I mean the instructions just say...Install bushings into sway bar end links The bushing's ends are bigger than the diameter!!!!! I tried hitting it in, squuezing it in with a C-clamp............ Nada. nothing, no-go...... ANY help would be greatly appreciated as I'm riding around (or will be until this is resolved) without the REAR sway bar end links....

Is that a big deal? Safe?

Next issues: No sooner do I have everything but the rear end links in & take the Jeep for a ride .................. and then I notice the cluster says ESP overtop the BAS: this is NOT the little wavy Jeep sign you get when you hit the ESP button on/off.

And that's when I notice my steering wheel is Cockeyed about 90 degrees..........

She rode fine save some MAJOR sqeeeeeeeks (is that normal???????????)(if so- for how long???????)

Lastly (for this post) is that the FRONT trackbar.... I believe it is the trackbar: mounts to the frame on the driver's side and down to the axle on the passenger side..... the driver's side was a B**CH to get in: is THAT normal????? I woulda expected some play for it to move up/down

Continued......
Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

So ok: The install itself.......

I **Think** I have everything I need. I proceed onward into no-man's land.
And yes...I am leaving out some of the rudimentary stuff like loosing lug nutts and removing wheels & shocks...

I jack up the jeep. Gosh...that's pretty high up there up there...... but it says I'll have to lower the axel to get out the old springs.

Getready to drop the axle......... and she's not going; OHHHHHH I forgot the cross member: Directions say TWO bolts... I find THREE....hmmmm... LOL...o well. Get that done.

Axle's still not dropping....hmmmm, no other mention of things & then I see it <<DOH!!!!>> Brake lines....... and the computer ABS thingermajiggy cord. Get them unhitched......

Ok... lower axel..... lower axel.... jack is now at bottom.

Guess I didn't raise the jeep high ENOUGH on the stands. Ok back to that.

FINNALLY- I get the stock Rubi springs out.....

And so now...........

I was warned by one of the engineers (actually a member here) that the directions were vague on one part...... when you get to the "Install bumpstop"..... There is no mention of a need to drill--- and yet

Meeeeeee Nooooo seeeeee a hole So out comes the drill..... after a quick lil' prayer I'm doing this right and in the right spot ((somebody please bring up my Garvin Rack Install goof)............ and drill. Looks right...... I hope it is!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...now install the NEW springs..... WTF?????????? Jeep is STILL NOT HIGH ENOUGH!!!! ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!!

Back to Jacking........ And then continue... And then realize I was trying to install the rears (the taller springs) in the front-- DOH!!!!! Glad I caught that...............

Get the CORRECT springs..... And they're still not fitting!!!!! I have to STEP on the Axle to get it to go down-- and even then it was a bear of a time getting them springs and bumpstops in.............

Continued........
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 PM
JK Freak

So the rest of the FRONT install goes pretty smoothy until I realize I had managed to push the sway bar down....way down...and now I couldn't get it up past the trackbar......

Ok-- back OUT come the Shock, lower axle....get sway bar in the right spot and then continue. Get her on the Gorund and think OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This things a friggin BEAST!!!!!!

The REAR install:

Get back of Jeep lifted: Find out my jack stands and the passenger side of the Jeep dont get along.......... actually have to kinda perch frame on the tops of the ""U"" on the stand rather than down in the gutter........

The rear went MOSTLY smooth until I ran into the issue in Several posts up about the Sway bar end links..................And then the shock BOOTS the fronts were a 30 second job>>>>> The rears.......... took me a friggin good 45 minutes to get them suckers on: WHOEVER invented these dam cross-beamed-at-the-top shocks need to have an arse whoopin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER again... NEVVVVVVVVER again: I'll just go bootless........

Directions were quite clear and MOSTLY better done save for two spots: the end links and then a lil' tid bit about needing to drill thorugh the driver's side rear perch for the rear track arm. The kit comes with a relocation box/bracket/thingy that essentially drops down into the factory mount and the trackbar mounts hoigher (in the new mount mounted to the perch...hope that made sense)------ it requires two bolts and a weld. you insert a bolt on one face through the factory holes and trailmaster mount---- but on the the side that faces the rear brake caliper is a lil' hole drilled in the Trailmaster mount-- but no hole in the factory perch:............so OK-- looks like its drill time again and thats what the instructions say to do............. OHHHHH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT GET A FRIGGIN DRILL in there!!!!!!!!!!!! The space is wayyyyyyyyyyy to tight: even bottoming out the drill bit into the drill-- there just aint NO room I guess if I dropped the brake caliper and removed the axle flange I MIGHT be able to get in there....Scew THAT--- Just gonna have to talk to the welder about tacking it I guesss............

So after much brow beating and more neighbors and calls (see below) I wrap up the rear without the end links.

BACK TO THE FRONT....... the kit requires that you re-sue your REAR OEM end links for the Front.... Okdokie-- that went easy....

The directions say to NOW finnally hook up the Other end of the Front trackbar (the side that goes on the driver's side-- up on the frame.........

OHHHH crap-- its not fitting........
After smashing, clamping, clubbing the trackbar bushings-- it STILL WONT FIT...ARrrGGhHH!!!!!!!

So after smashing, bashing, clawing, bending, tweaking and otherwise trying to get the two factory ends to widen even just 0.00001 of an inch I think I got it.... NOPE.

MORE bashing bending, widening, clawing, pulling pushing, smacking... I finnalllllllllly get it to widen 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001 but enough now to *only* have to use a rubber mallet to tap....and tap....and tap....and tap....and tap.... and tap... and tap..(Did I mentionI had to tap on it??????)...and tap. and FINNALY she's lined up.

And then I'm done.
And I only have 3 washers and one micro bolt left over

Double check everything. Triple check...Scratch that-- Say a prayer and get in and DRIVE THE DAM THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So overall--- Not toooooooooooo bad an install for a 1st timer: Kit was pretty complete, Directions pretty good thorughout except the spots I mentioned (and I will be passing them along to the engineer so the instructions may be updated for anyone following in my footsteps). Now I just have to figure out these dam sway bar end link bushings, the canted steering wheel and the ESP/BAS messege and all will be good.

Book time said 4-6 hours........
With all the mishaps....not having enough/the correct metric sockets/wrenches, the boot issue, jackstand issues....and the countless neigbors wanting to come by and ask inane questions (and the phone calls from friends wanting to know if I was done yet) I think it only took me TWELVE hours LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey-- She sits higher, ride is not stiff, not soft....about just as the factory was with a TAD more stiffness to it........

That's it folks-- Just SOMEBODY please divugle the secrets to mysterious bushings before I go cry myself to sleep and dream big dreams of bushings in my ears, my eyes LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=deconstructionist;570737]OK.........

I mean the instructions just say...Install bushings into sway bar end links The bushing's ends are bigger than the diameter!!!!! IQUOTE]

Try putting a little grease on them and pressing them in with a vise. Should work like a charm.

So did you get everything else figured out? I got tired of reading your long ass posts!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Wheels and tires anyone! 37 club??? Is your back sore from getting up and down and twisting in every direction possible?

Look great!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

Nice write up. Check out Eddies write up for this lift. Adjusting your steering should take care of the ESP issues.
Step 79 I think it was. All the way at the bottom.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 AM
JK Jedi

Looking good, like the rack.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ

Try putting a little grease on them and pressing them in with a vise. Should work like a charm.

So did you get everything else figured out? I got tired of reading your long ass posts!!!
I'll try the grease- thank you! And yes... I have diarehea of the motuh-- I cant stop blabberin!!!!!

Check out Eddies write up for this lift. Adjusting your steering should take care of the ESP issues.
Step 79 I think it was. All the way at the bottom.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Awsome- I've pulled up the read and will be there as soon as this post is done

Wheels and tires anyone! 37 club???
That IS the question now isn't it... whatever I do I know I'll have to also be waiting for the funds to be doing gears as well....anyone know what gears I need to run 40's?? LOL!

Is your back sore from getting up and down and twisting in every direction possible?
Ohhhhhhh Goood Lordy.... I know I aint 20 no more.... I've felt more sore from home remodelining but YES...I do feel like I was hit by a Mac truck

Looking good, like the rack
Thanks! Garvin Wilderness with 4 homade light brakets and 4 KC daylighers--- Almost completed: wires run but JUST got my sPOD box...... think that'll be going in on Tuesday or Wednesday!

Quick Reply: Trailmaster 5in lift Installed!