Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trailer towing

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer towing

I have a small trailer approximately 4' x 6' with a tongue weight of probably 80 lbs., that I use to haul camp gear. I am getting a 21/2" Teraflex coil and shock lift and 35 BFG KM2's. Should I expect any difficulties towing this trailer after these mods? It has towed, even in the mountains, with no difficulties thus far. Jeep is an 09 Sahara, with no other mods than an XRC front bumper and winch.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

you will notice a power loss with the tire size. you will most likely need to turn off od if you don't already cause the jeep just don't have much power with bigger tires. if you have a manual it will be easier than a auto. gears would be the fix but that costs you some dough. might need to get a drop reciver if you don't have one already. you want your trailer as level with the jeep as possible or the tow vehicle on the high side by no more than about 4 inches. good luck

edit o yal if you don't have trailer brakes watch when you stop. the 35's will not stop as quickly as your stock tires did with a 800 lbs trailer behind you.

Last edited by codysanders; 06-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

I wouldn't think you would have a problem -- especially if you have an Unlimited. Mine tows my 5x9 Utility trailer with a cord of firewood just fine on a 4" lift.

-meljr
Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trailer Towing

Sorry, I should have noted it is a 2 dr. Sahara with an auto trans no overdrive. The trailer tongue sits just about level at 23". My hitch is presently at 18" so the lift and tires should bring it pretty close to level.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm in an 07 2dr. on 35's. I have a similar 4x6 trailer, you'll definitely feel it when loaded but you'll be able to pull it. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

I tow a 21' travel trailer with my rig without too much difficulty. You'll be fine

Quick Reply: Trailer towing