Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trail Jeep Suspension Options

Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you can afford it, an evo double throwdown with long arm kit is about as good as you can get it. that's what we run on our white jk and carry our family in and dog, recovery gear, tools, welder, fridge freeze, all our camping gear and a super heavy 40x15.50 spare. unlike some people, we don't trailer our jeep anywhere but rather, drive it to all our destinations near or far, go wheeling and drive back home and it performs outstandingly on and off pavement.

can't afford quite that much, i would recommend the evo bolt on coil over system as it's almost as good but costs a fraction of the price. i would still recommend that you run this with their long arms as you will still get way more flex than what most aftermarket control arms can take without blowing out bushings. we run this on our dozer jk now and just got back from 5 weeks up in tahoe where we put on just shy of 6,000 miles exploring the sierra nevada mountains and northern nevada desert and running trails like the rubicon.
And what he ^ said too.

I'm skipping all but a 2" BB until I have enough for the bolt on coil over with long arms. Yippy Rubicat Clone!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate all the input. My estimation is that I'll have the cash together for wheels, tires, and lift by the end of the year so that will be just about 6 months of wheeling it stock. I'm staging the build since I'm on a military pay scale so this will be the first real stage (next will be bumpers and winch).

I think the topic kind of got a little away from the original intent of my question, but still may have been answering it in a round about way.

From what it looks a coil over setup will allow me to stiffen up my suspension if needed for the heavy haul trips and soften it for the one day rock ruckus type days...would you say that's correct?

I'm assuming that with a straight longarm type kit (non coilover) that the spring setup it pretty set in either a stiff/soft setup and isn't as tunable?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foxc
i'll be able to chime in on this subject a little better in about 2 weeks. I'm currently running an aev w/brackets 2.5 lift. The road manners are absolutely fantastic...offroad manners are good. if you overland and stick to medium trails...no problem. aev triple progessive springs and the stock arms on brackets dont offer anymore flex than stock and it shows on any kind of rock trails.
I am switching to an evo 4" since I am really enjoying the rocks and would like a little more clearance and flex. After leasons learned, for me anyway, a 4" lift, good adjustable lca's and good shocks just cant be beat for an all round rig that does alot of different terrain well.

I have seen some other forum members rigs on evo kits and firmly believe they are the ticket. I should have gone this direction from the beginning,... but thats the way it goes sometimes.

what evo kit are you getting? the enforcer?

Quick Reply: Trail Jeep Suspension Options