Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trail Jeep Suspension Options

Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Jeep Suspension Options

So I'm putting together a 2012 Rubi (4 door) as a family trail jeep. Intent is to make this thing capable in all types of terrain, from mud to rocks, in order to get to some of the best campsites we can find.

I'm thinking minimum of 4" lift but probably not more than 6". I want the suspension to be able to hold the weight of the family and our gear (minimalist gear) and some extra fuel and full size 36/37" spare.

My question is, what TYPE of suspension is most effective for a setup that will see around 60% street and 40% hard trail use? It needs to be able to hold the weight of the trail gear, provide the clearance and flex for any conditions we come upon, and in the long term provide compatibility with a diesel conversion (in the future).

Choices are:

Drop bracket type (AEV type)
Longarm (Rock Krawler, Teraflex, type)
Coilover (Rock Kralwer, EVO type)

Last edited by Robar; 08-05-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

EVO all the way!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd second EVO. I've never run it because of the cost, but since you are setting up this as a play rig, I don't think money is too much of an issue. Off-Road Evolution will be your best bet.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd run it before making any mods. I waited almost a year. What I ended up doing was very different than what I first thought I needed. In the meantime, the stock JK took us places I didn't think even a modded Jeep could go.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Try considering King OEMs , Ive read a bunch of reviews on them and looks like they're worth the price. I mean u could go with a cheaper option but damn they manufacture really good shocks.
Try this : King's New Easy-Tune Jeep Wrangler JK Shocks - Jp Magazine

Last edited by Robar; 08-05-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'll be able to chime in on this subject a little better in about 2 weeks. I'm currently running an aev w/brackets 2.5 lift. The road manners are absolutely fantastic...offroad manners are good. if you overland and stick to medium trails...no problem. aev triple progessive springs and the stock arms on brackets dont offer anymore flex than stock and it shows on any kind of rock trails.
I am switching to an evo 4" since I am really enjoying the rocks and would like a little more clearance and flex. After leasons learned, for me anyway, a 4" lift, good adjustable lca's and good shocks just cant be beat for an all round rig that does alot of different terrain well.

I have seen some other forum members rigs on evo kits and firmly believe they are the ticket. I should have gone this direction from the beginning,... but thats the way it goes sometimes.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

what is the most economical choice for lifting my 2010 jk about 2 inches. just need a little more clearance for my 33's.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rudyh223
what is the most economical choice for lifting my 2010 jk about 2 inches. just need a little more clearance for my 33's.
teraflex is advertising a new leveling kit that will clear up to 34's for 133.99. check out the vendor forum.

Last edited by Foxc; 08-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can afford it, an evo double throwdown with long arm kit is about as good as you can get it. that's what we run on our white jk and carry our family in and dog, recovery gear, tools, welder, fridge freeze, all our camping gear and a super heavy 40x15.50 spare. unlike some people, we don't trailer our jeep anywhere but rather, drive it to all our destinations near or far, go wheeling and drive back home and it performs outstandingly on and off pavement.

can't afford quite that much, i would recommend the evo bolt on coil over system as it's almost as good but costs a fraction of the price. i would still recommend that you run this with their long arms as you will still get way more flex than what most aftermarket control arms can take without blowing out bushings. we run this on our dozer jk now and just got back from 5 weeks up in tahoe where we put on just shy of 6,000 miles exploring the sierra nevada mountains and northern nevada desert and running trails like the rubicon.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill
I'd run it before making any mods. I waited almost a year. What I ended up doing was very different than what I first thought I needed. In the meantime, the stock JK took us places I didn't think even a modded Jeep could go.
What he^ said. We're 6 months in on the stock sus and I've done a number of trails I didn't think the stocker could do. Sure it's not the beast and I'm finessing the trail not raging it but I still get to the camping spot and drive to work on monday.

Quick Reply: Trail Jeep Suspension Options