Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trail fixes

Old 05-28-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail fixes

Wondering if want to start posting trail fixes, so other might know what to do when it breaks! A fellow jeeper busted his trans cooling line on a stump. He had someone bringing him a new line, but a quick fix would have been to cut bad spot out with hack saw blade or small pipe cutter and use some 3/8" fuel line hose and screw clamps.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used a ratchet strap, and some spare u bolts with a couple improvised holes to hold my rear track bar bracket on and limped off the trail couple years back.

Good times. Was dropping off a ledge and it just popped off, axle was just a touch of center.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
Used a ratchet strap, and some spare u bolts with a couple improvised holes to hold my rear track bar bracket on and limped off the trail couple years back. Good times. Was dropping off a ledge and it just popped off, axle was just a touch of center.
reminded me. Wheel with a guy who's rear track bar broke off at axle. I was not there, but said he used ratchet straps and did x pattern to get off trail.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fix really, but a situation fix...
Once when we were "temporarily delayed" (as my dad & I always say) in a deep mud filled ditch in AK without a winch, Hi Lift Jack, or another vehicle to pull us out, we used tire chains, A tie strap, and a rope to get out.
We put the tire chain on the rear tire that had little to no contact with the ground. Attached the strap to the tire chain, the rope to the strap (needed the length). Tied it off to a tree that was almost in dead alignment with the tire. Put the truck in reverse and it was able to wrap up just enough on the tire to "winch us" enough to get free and moving.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. A few that I've done that come to mind are:
Tree limb caught my front brake hose and ripped it off. I had a self tapping screw I screwed into the line to hold.
Buddy busted a tire off the bead the other day and lost his valve stem. Held the air hose to get it to fill up the tire and then jammed a stick down in it to hold the air. Worked to get home.
Bent tie rods/drag links, have someone hook a winch to it and pull it straight, or use whatever means necessary to straighten it..
Broken front shaft (in a jk) just remove it...
Had a buddy break a rear shaft on a yj, we used a log and put it against the side of the tire and ratchet strapped it to the other side. Probably a lot more but I can't think of any.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-6124106.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	648558  
Old 06-01-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone limping off the trail with a broken semi float? Its a pain in the ass to carry 2 spares in the back of a 2 door.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ratchet straps will go far. I used them on a TJ to hold up the gas tank after the skid decided it didn't want to hold anymore. The same principle can be applied to the JK.

Also saw someone with a loose lower control arm jam nut. The suggestion to get out was loop a strap from the frame, around the axle, and back to the frame to at least keep the joint from coming any further loose.

Quick Reply: Trail fixes