Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trading My Full Doors for Half Doors

Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading My Full Doors for Half Doors

I know a guy who's interested in trading his factory half doors (all 4) for my factory full doors. If I do this, I'd have to paint the new ones to match (since his don't match mine), and I'm guessing I'd need to change the locks somehow to work with my key fob. How the heck would I do that? Anyone have experience in trading doors and know everything I'd need to do to make it work? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You key fob won't work. Half doors do not have power locks. You can have the cylinders rekeyed to your key. Any locksmith can do that.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joeglock
your key fob will work, all you have to do is buy the the lock mech. from jeep for the power locks and the wiring harness, total it cost less than 100 bucks for every thing you need to get power locks on your half doors.

also i see you are in MD you might want to call River Raider in PA he was an ammazing paint guy, he did my AEV hood, and my half doors and it was way cheaper than any one i found in MD.
He has an Unlimited, he'd need to double that $100 for the power latches.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

he did my AEV hood, and my half doors and it was way cheaper than any one i found in MD.
Out of curiousity, whats it cost to have that hood painted? I ask only cause i am considering buying one
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

does that power lock kit work for regular manual lock doors? Have any part numbers?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow!! Is that true!! I just got a half door Rubicon and really struggled on the half doors just because of the power locks. How hard is it it bring the needed wireing to the doors (with me having started with half doors I wont have any wiring already at the door). Can I buy a fob if I dont already have one?

Boy if this is possible I am a HAPPY camper!!

your key fob will work, all you have to do is buy the the lock mech. from jeep for the power locks and the wiring harness, total it cost less than 100 bucks for every thing you need to get power locks on your half doors.

also i see you are in MD you might want to call River Raider in PA he was an ammazing paint guy, he did my AEV hood, and my half doors and it was way cheaper than any one i found in MD.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WindyCityGuy
Wow!! Is that true!! I just got a half door Rubicon and really struggled on the half doors just because of the power locks. How hard is it it bring the needed wireing to the doors (with me having started with half doors I wont have any wiring already at the door). Can I buy a fob if I dont already have one?

Boy if this is possible I am a HAPPY camper!!
I don't think the body computer will allow you to add a Jeep fob if the vehicle didn't come with power locks.
I used the lock output from a Bulldog remote start system to operate my locks.
Remote locking kits can be had on eBay for cheap.

I ordered my power latches from Airpark Chrysler. (chryslerjeepdodgeparts.com) No PNs in the transaction, not even on the receipt. It was all online with a drilldown pick system. Also, there is a parts list floating around this forum that could get you PNs.

Since I already had full doors, I just ran the wires for the power locks with them. (pockets sewn into door straps)
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

550.00 bucks
$550 to paint just the hood? or was that the doors also? Even still seems a bit steep, what did your local shop want? maybe I should get back into auto body

Quick Reply: Trading My Full Doors for Half Doors