Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction question

Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction question

I have 35s Mickey Thompson on my 07jk 2 door. I have noticed it some before, but noticed it a lot this weekend when i went camping and had to drive through the mountains. When i make turns in any gear if i turn to sharp the tires start to like jump and the traction light flashes. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
Your vehicle computer thinks you are in a slide and is using the ESP to stop it.

Either your steering wheel is not exactly centered, or your axles are not centered under your rig, or you had enough weight in the rear that the rig is nose up in the front, or your tires were aired down enough that the rig thought it was in a slide, etc., etc.

If it never did it before, I'd say your steering wheel is now off center due to having bent the tie rod or drag link while wheeling.

Just straiten the steering wheel, and you should be fine. The do it yourself alignment write-up is in the write-up section here and on project-jk.com.
Yea it did it before, but I noticed it a bunch this week driving up and down the curved mountains. Thank you for the help and I will see if I can fix the problem now.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Turk-Z
... noticed... when i ... had to drive through the mountains. When i make turns in any gear if i turn to sharp the tires start to like jump and the traction light flashes. Any ideas?
Please describe the road surface you were on when this happened.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Please describe the road surface you were on when this happened.
This was on a paved road through the mountains.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

If you are in 4wd, then it could just be your tires trying to rotate at different speeds when you turn. This is normal, and you shouldn't use 4wd on pavement.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
If you are in 4wd, then it could just be your tires trying to rotate at different speeds when you turn. This is normal, and you shouldn't use 4wd on pavement.
I wasnt in 4wd.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yo, bro you may just have to much air pressure.....We I dirve your JK the other night it felt great to me. I dont think you have anything bent. Check your pressure,Im running 28-30 PSI in my Pro Comps. Let me know if I can help, we will try and get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does it only when you turn one way (left or right) then it is your steering wheel not centered.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have esp turned off? Mine likes to kick on even on traffic circles or highway merging, and of course on old windy mountain roads.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a particular freeway exit here that is a sharp U-Turn going down a hill and every time I do it my car tries to kill me. I though something was wrong until I read and found out it's the ESP trying to "help" me out cause it thinks I'm under-steering or something. So now on that exit I press the ESP button and it doesn't happen anymore.

You'll have to judge for yourself if you want a computer telling you how to drive in certain situations or not. I'm trying to get the Full Off ESP Switch Mod to work but can't find the right wire in my 2007 Sahara without pulling the center console.

Quick Reply: Traction question