Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction problem? Lockers needed?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Traction problem? Lockers needed?

So I'm going down a muddy fire road at about a 30 degree incline in 4wd. I shift into 2nd to help ease off the brakes. When I do, the back end of the jeep started to slide to the right (passenger side). I go back to drive and only use the brakes, and it straightens out.

Is this an argument for lockers? Any ideas what's going on here?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
So I'm going down a muddy fire road at about a 30 degree incline in 4wd. I shift into 2nd to help ease off the brakes. When I do, the back end of the jeep started to slide to the right (passenger side). I go back to drive and only use the brakes, and it straightens out.

No, it's not an argument for lockers. The brakes are biased toward the front, which had more traction. When you downshifted and got off the brakes, the deceleration load was equally distributed front to rear, so more was directed toward the rear than had been when you were braking. Since the rear tires had little weight on them they couldn't maintain traction as well as the front so gravity was trying to pull them down the hill faster than the fronts were allowing. So, it tried to swap ends.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, and here I was telling my wife I needed to go out and buy lockers! Guess I'll have to get that new bumper / tire carrier instead to increase the weight in the rear.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, and here I was telling my wife I needed to go out and buy lockers!
Want me to edit my post?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In deep snow my JK does that. It is definitely due to lack of any substantial weight in the rear of the JK. Fully loaded it probably would be no issue

Quick Reply: Traction problem? Lockers needed?