Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

traction control problem

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control problem

2012 Unlimited with a 4" lift and 35's. I simply went around a corner last night and traction control warning came on. Felt like brakes were grabbing the right front and would not accelerate. I simply pulled over and shut down and restarted and all seems well. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you need to make sure that your steering wheel is completely centered. also, if you're running anything more than about 30 psi in your tires, let some air out and that'll help as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the traction control off and don't drive like your'e Mario Andretti. That should fix the problem. Oh, and center your steering wheel too.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jimbogas
2012 Unlimited with a 4" lift and 35's. I simply went around a corner last night and traction control warning came on. Felt like brakes were grabbing the right front and would not accelerate. I simply pulled over and shut down and restarted and all seems well. Has anyone experienced this problem?
I had a similar problem recenty but I was going straight and would describe the feeling as a sputtering (jerky) but the engine wasn't really sputtering, just had that jerky feeling like it was running out of gas or something. It went on for about 10 seconds and then the dash lit up like an x-mas tree and the jerkyness stopped. If I recall correctly it was the traction and EBS lights that came on. I pulled over and cut the engine for about a minute. Started up and it was fine for a while but happened again. Long story short it turned out one of the wheel speed sensors went bad. Had the dealership replace it under warranty. Just something to think about if your wheel is already centered.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChrisV
I had a similar problem recenty but I was going straight and would describe the feeling as a sputtering (jerky) but the engine wasn't really sputtering, just had that jerky feeling like it was running out of gas or something. It went on for about 10 seconds and then the dash lit up like an x-mas tree and the jerkyness stopped. If I recall correctly it was the traction and EBS lights that came on. I pulled over and cut the engine for about a minute. Started up and it was fine for a while but happened again. Long story short it turned out one of the wheel speed sensors went bad. Had the dealership replace it under warranty. Just something to think about if your wheel is already centered.
My wheel is centered so everything was fine this morning so will look at wheel sensors. How did you know which one is bad?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

My wheel is centered so everything was fine this morning so will look at wheel sensors. How did you know which one is bad?
Just disable the Traction control system. Chrysler recommends it for lifted Jeeps and tells you how to do it in the manual. Had mine disabled since last fall, and haven't missed it at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi

I lifted mine last weekend and used an AEV Procal to center the steering wheel. From what I read the TCS is very finiky if the steering wheel isn't dead straight.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

I wasn't sure which sensor was bad but you can try reading the codes. If one is failing I would expect it to leave a code.

I just took the Jeep into the dealer because it was still under warranty.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem 1 time right after I installed my lift, happened while I was driving home on the freeway and the road swung to the right pretty hard. After talking with my brother he suggested I find a nice open parking lot and idle my JK 5 hard turns to the right then straighten it out followed by 5 hard turns to the left at idle speed, then straighten it out. Shut the jeep off for 5 minutes then start back up and drive like normal. He said something about resetting the electronics to the new center of gravity or some such nonsense lol. All I know is that I havent had a problem since.

BTKillerr
Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Btkillerr
He said something about resetting the electronics to the new center of gravity or some such nonsense lol. All I know is that I havent had a problem since.

BTKillerr
Oh how I long for the days when the only electronics in my car was a transistor radio sitting on the passenger seat. Simpler times...

Quick Reply: traction control problem