Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction Control - issues...

Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leros
Did you recenter the steering wheel?
Yeah, we did.

JTR
Old 02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bone
Follow my lead and turn that mutha off! I tried centering the wheel with no luck, so I just found the section in the owner's manual that tells how to permanently disable the traction system. I figure that 20 years ago people drove Jeeps without it, why do I need it? I can turn it back on anytime I want with a few short steps outlined in the manual.
I haven't looked yet. But will. Where in manual did you find this? Was it an easy disable or did you just pull fuse or something?

Thanks

Jtr
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thejtr
I haven't looked yet. But will. Where in manual did you find this? Was it an easy disable or did you just pull fuse or something?

Thanks

Jtr
I don't have my manual handy at the moment, but it was easy to find. Look in the index. It's a simple process of cranking the wheel, tapping the brakes, wiggling your nose, etc. Took all of about 1 minute.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thejtr
Anyone have issues with their traction control EPS after lifting their jeep? I put on 2.5" of lift and now when I'm hitting corners and braking my EPS goes haywire.

Is there an adjustment for this?

Thanks

Jtr

If you still have this issue...
If you have metric sized tires on it, you have to recalibrate the speedometer (i used the HyperTech one) and you have to figure out the closest decimal in inches the metrics are (ex, 285/75r16's are 32.8 inches, and the closest the calibrator has programmed is 32.75 but it was aparantly close enough to fix the issue). Also ensure that your steering wheel is centered (alignment) and that all of the wheel speed sensors are in good working order.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

caster set to correct spec, toe in set for larger tires? front / rear axles centered? I have 3.5" Clayton, 315's (34.5) no issues at all
Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bone
Follow my lead and turn that mutha off! I tried centering the wheel with no luck, so I just found the section in the owner's manual that tells how to permanently disable the traction system. I figure that 20 years ago people drove Jeeps without it, why do I need it? I can turn it back on anytime I want with a few short steps outlined in the manual.
Obviously an option, and not intending to start a debate on the whole ESP/traction control pros/con thing (please).

But getting ESP/TC to work with a lift seems to me like it would help ensure everything is properly assembled and aligned (steering/caster/backspace etc). I have to wonder that if you HAVE to to disable it, something may not be right. Unless there is just a wide disparity in the computers programming between Jeeps.

Just another point of view and no big deal to me, so be gentle.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-29-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have this same issue. If your rig is a 2011 - turning off the ESP will give you an alarm tone every time you come to a stop. I've tried everything listed here plus a lots of other ridiculous things that the dealership has suggested. Tomorrow a field tech from Jeep is looking at mine and checking if I have any bad sensors. This is not an uncommon problem at all - solutions abound and work for some but not for all of us.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with properly calibrating, installing, etc the traction control could still give you issues. The computer monitors many aspects of the vehicle while its in motion but the big ones it uses for traction/skid control is wheel spin and vehicle roll. So if your jeep has a lift on it and larger tires combined with a soft suspension it will lean more in corners. The computer will detect this and interpret it as the beginnings of a roll over thus apply brakes and throttle control to mitigate this. That's why Jeep suggests disabling the ESP on lifted vehicles.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see how the lifts and tire setups that allow more body roll might not be solvable without disabling ESP.

But that crazy 2011 move with the chime at every stop would have me hunting with a bayonet, trying to track down and stab the piezo whatever making the noise.

That plain sucks.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

A couple of weeks ago the dealership decided the solution was to eliminate roll by making the tires firmer and they inflates all my tires clear up to 48# - the result was more chattering. The ride was terrible. After a couple of days I decided to try one particular curve where I had issues at this pressure, then I would take the pressure back to the 37# listed on the door stickers. The result was that the chattering and braking was significantly reduced. I reduced the pressure down to 32# and the issue is almost gone.

I triple checked my steering wheel centering, did an alignment, added the Procal Module - and the issue was resolved by lowering my tire pressure

Quick Reply: Traction Control - issues...