Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction Control Issue

Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They def didn't reprogram the computer for new tire size. Would that be enough to throw it off? I'm just wondering why the other 1,000 guys on this forum that have this set up don't have the same problem???
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your 35 inch tires should not cause that problem. One question, when they re-centered your steering wheel did they center it to the closest point or did they go the long way around. That could give your jeep a false indication of direction?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Robar, I don't know if they went long or short. Which should they have done? BigD2 and JKdrone - I appreciate the input....however, if it were a case of geometry, wouldn't everyone that puts a 2.5"+ lift with 35" tires report the same issue? I'm not sure why my case is special. This is really driving me nuts. I'm afraid to ask - would the dealer have a clue as to how to fix it? At this point, I don't care if it costs me a couple bucks....
Old 03-22-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your steering has a clock spring in it that indicates the wheels location for the vehicle computer. If the steering were centered the wrong way it could affect what the computer thinks. I am not sure about this, but it is an idea that may be possible.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianb1222
MINE KEPT DOING THAT AND I WAS RUNNING TO LOW TIRE PRESSURE. I DON'T KNOW MAYBE CHECK THAT

Ah.. stop yelling at us

haha
Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 Unlimited does the same thing. I added a 2.5 BB and 33's then I started to notice it kicking in on clover leaf ramps at speed and real crooked mountain roads. There is a post in the write-up section about cutting the wire for the esp system and putting a toggle switch in series with the purple/skyblue tracer wire. Thats what I did. Now if I notice the esp turning on too much I just turn it off. It stays off until you cycle the key switch. It works for now but I do need to add an adjustable rear track bar.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks "Big D2" for the spot on advise. Listen to what he is saying....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem as Money Pit. I did the lift myself, adjusted the steering wheel and reset the tire size in the computer. I noticed it first in a downhill right hand turn and then really noticed it in a clover leaf off the freeway. Very annoying. Both times right around 30mph. I tried the disabling ESP for Modified Vehicles addendum but it would only work in 4hi.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

ok, so i'm a newb to this forum....but i've had my 08 Wrangler Unlimited since last december. I lifted it this past summer (4" lift, 35" tires) and started having a similar problem. On clover leafs if I was going "too fast" it would start hitting the brakes for me. This got annoying, so I decided to do the permanent disable of the ESP system...which worked. I thought the problem was fixed....but then the other day, I FINALLY got the jeep out in some mud...I was in 4 High...came into a mud puddle with some speed...was turning a bit and the ESP system completely owned me. Shut me down completely. It basically stopped me in the very middle of this mud hole, at which point I had to switch to 4Low in order to be able to power outta the mud?! WTF?! I'm sure this has been covered before, but i searched and didn't find it....surely there is a way to just get rid of this "feature". I miss my old TJ if we can't...I'm just lucky this wasn't a huge mud hole....getting stopped in the middle of that could have meant i was stuck!!!!

Thanks for any advice!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up I agree....

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
until you get in ice/rain/snow...then it is. A friend of mine was up in Washington a few months ago for work and had a Dodge Nitro for a rental. They went out in the snow/rain and turned the ESP OFF, then swerved back and forth (in a parking lot) to see what would happen...spun out every time. Then turned ESP ON and tried the same thing, and he said no matter what they did it wouldn't spin out. Haven't tried it this extreme myself, but I know it keeps our Liberty from sliding sideways around turns when you punch the gas.

Picked up my 2009 JK 4 door the day after our first snowfall almost 3 weeks ago now. I've tried to spin it out with the esp on and it is difficult. Here in Ontario, Canada it is great especially on black ice when you don't expect it.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Issue