Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction Control Issue

Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only two things you can do as far as alighnment on the jk, as it is stock,or with a BB is adj toe in or out and re-center the steering wheel. Unless your BB came with front and rear adj trackbars( which I highly doubt) and adj uppers and lowers. There is no adj on the stock track bars and control arms. If they didn't re-center your steering wheel, then all they could have done was toe in. Easy money for them, a rip-off to you!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sw0cb
Or just turn off esp...its really not that useful of a system honestly
you going to turn it off everytime you drive? or take 5min to straighten the steering wheel?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I drove it this morning and it looks like the steering wheel is off just a hair. It's really not off too much. Still think that's what's causing it?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Hold on guys...Read what you are writting.

He asks about TRACTION Control, and is getting answers on STABILITY control.

These are 2 seperate systems, although I'm sure they work together somehow.

Traction control is detecting rear wheel spin and applying braking action to a wheel to aid the Limited Slip.

Stability control (ESC) is where your steering wheel position is critical. This system can be turned off, and detects when the vehicle is going in a direction other than the intended direction (such as a slide). this system also uses brakeing action on one or more of the 4 wheels to keep things going straight. Kinda a weird feel.

After a lift, the wheel must be perfectly straight or the system will get confused.

Make sure you are haveing ESC or ETC issues and report back.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

It's an ETC issue. I go around a jug handle and it kicks in....feels kinda like anti lock brakes. The idiot light on the dash lights up. Interestingly enough, I turned the ETC off (which permanently illuminates the light on the dash) and the same problem continued to occur. It's unbelievably frustrating!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Would this still be happening if if the wheel is only off a hair? It's not far from centered and I confirmed that the alignment shop did "center" it.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
you going to turn it off everytime you drive? or take 5min to straighten the steering wheel?
Uh, what?

The code from daimler chrysler to turn off the esp/tcs completly takes 5 minutes and you only do it once. It works quite well =P
Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I'd prefer not to turn it off if I can avoid it. Can someone confirm or deny that if the steering wheel is off center just a hair, it will cause the traction control to activate when traveling around turns with a little bit of speed?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

I can neither confirm nor deny the allegations, but I would think that it just being off a little bit should not cause the activation.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

The steering wheel being off slightly will not have an effect on either the traction control or the electronic stability control. There are other factors.

Lets see what's happening here. You have a lift, you have stock track bars and stock control arms. Your steering geometry is now changed. With the lift both axles shift slightly to the right. The rear one more so. It's the one that makes the vehicule more prone to steering abnormalities. Plus, with stock control arms, your caster angle changed in the front. The vehicule will seem a lot more twitchy.

You say it turns on going around corners. That is actually both systems working. The traction control comes on because the outside wheel starts to spin. The esp then sense that the vehicule's rear wants to rotate further and so it comes on.

Obviously the shorter the vehicule, the more prone to this it will be. So the Unlimiteds are unlikely to experience this.

There are a number of ways of tackling this. First off, the correct way would be to get the adjustable trackbars for both front and rear and then control arms. Now, if you could only get one thing then get the drop down track bar for the rear as the rear is the most influential in this instance. Right now the vehicule is dog tracking so you need to get it back to as close as possible. Next, try playing around with lower tire pressures. Depending on your tire size, you could lower the pressure between 5 to 10 psi on the road ( depending on load). Yes, fuel mileage will go up a little, it might feel slightly sluggish in turns but the extra footprint should more than make up for the uneven alignment. You could also play around with the toe to make it slightly more stable too.

Anyway hope this helps a little, and leave the ESP on for the road. That is a wonderful system.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Issue