Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction control and cruise control

Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control and cruise control

Question #1 - I just installed a PSC hydro assist steering kit. Everything on my Jeep (2017 Rubicon JKU lifted) worked fine prior to the steering mod. Steering works great and install went fine. Now I cant get the traction control light off. I have centered my steering wheel perfectly, even took it in for an alignment to see if we could get the light off and no luck there. In addition to the traction issue, now my cruise control doesn't work. It wont turn on what so ever, I push the button on the steering wheel the on light in the dash doesn't turn on. . I have checked all the fuses and they are all good.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the traction control light is a solid on, then you probably either damaged the sensor wire or it became unplugged during your modification. An ABS scanner tool will be able to tell you which wheel speed sensor has failed.

And yes when the traction control is disabled the cruise control is disabled.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Ill have to check that, but I was no where near the ABS sensors when I was installing the steering. Everything worked fine prior to the new box and pump. I will double check tonight t see if by a fluke I did damage something. Is anyone on here running a PSC system with no issues with the traction light?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

I guess I should have asked if there is a sensor wire in the vicinity of the steering box or where I removed the old reservoir?

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
If the traction control light is a solid on, then you probably either damaged the sensor wire or it became unplugged during your modification. An ABS scanner tool will be able to tell you which wheel speed sensor has failed.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how high your lift kit is and how you installed the modifications, you might have just caused the wire to be unplugged by jacking up the front end. You have the wire lead sticking out of the front hub and if you follow it up it connects right around the shock tower. Just check the connections. If your wire is still secured to the stock location you can cause it to stretch and break.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this needs more explanation... I can run cruise just fine with traction control off - TC off, as in, via the switch on the dash.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Maybe this needs more explanation... I can run cruise just fine with traction control off - TC off, as in, via the switch on the dash.
I should say that when the system has a fault in it the cruise no longer works.

TC can be disabled via the dash switch, but the stability control and BLD systems still rely on the wheel speed sensors and those cannot be disabled (shy of pulling the fuse or having a failed sensor which would cause a fault and disable the cruise).
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Coincidences happen. Wheel speed sensors fail pretty commonly just on their own. Have someone run an ABS code reader on it (at the dealership or a reputable shop), and find out what is wrong. My rear passenger sensor went out about three years ago. The sensors run about $15-$20 at auto zone. The rear ones take about 5 minutes to change, and the fronts take 15-30 minutes to change. After I changed the bad one, and found out how easy/inexpensive it is, I changed all four, and haven’t had a problem sense.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdelling
Question #1 - I just installed a PSC hydro assist steering kit. Everything on my Jeep (2017 Rubicon JKU lifted) worked fine prior to the steering mod. Steering works great and install went fine. Now I cant get the traction control light off. I have centered my steering wheel perfectly, even took it in for an alignment to see if we could get the light off and no luck there. In addition to the traction issue, now my cruise control doesn't work. It wont turn on what so ever, I push the button on the steering wheel the on light in the dash doesn't turn on. . I have checked all the fuses and they are all good.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
If your traction control light is on it disables cruise control. Once you figure out the traction control issue cruise will work. When I did ball joints this happened to me and next day light went off. Also when you drive on gravel roads for a few miles mine will come on but shut off next day. This is in your owners manual about driving dirt or gravel roads. Hope it helps some.
Which kit did you get this is my next install? Where did you get it? How much? I been price shopping and found kit for my 2012 Rubi 4 door for $2500.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should say that when the system has a fault in it the cruise no longer works.
TC can be disabled via the dash switch, but the stability control and BLD systems still rely on the wheel speed sensors and those cannot be disabled (shy of pulling the fuse or having a failed sensor which would cause a fault and disable the cruise).
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Quick Reply: Traction control and cruise control