Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

traction control after lift

Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn traction control/esp/abs etc.
I cut the wire and will never have to deal with it again
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to have bad esp problems when i had a 2.5 bb and 35's with wheel spacers. i even had them with my 2.5 bb and 33's. Now i have the rough country 4 in with 3/4 spacers and the same 35's and i can take an onramp at almost 40 and still no esp.. i adjusted my front lca's making them longer than what it told me to compensate for the 3/4 spacer and its been wonderful
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Can someone bottom line this for me. I either cut the wire or what?? Can a dealership reprogram it? thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Charlie Harper
Can someone bottom line this for me. I either cut the wire or what?? Can a dealership reprogram it? thanks
You are crazy to cut the wire. Get a procal and use it to center the steering wheel. I am on my second lift and centering the steering wheel worked for both.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Similar issue

I thought I read it was due to improper caster angle after a lift. I put on a TF coli lift and got about 3~4 inches on my 2 door. Would a set of Adj LCA's help with that issue. Mine does it occasionally if I really hit a right sweeping turn.
It hasn't been much of a pain, but I really don't want to start cutting wires, although I know that would solve the problem!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the traction control light to go away...

you need to do the following:

center your front and rear axles.

go 75 MPH on a flat hwy or frwy and hold your steering wheel straight. then ask yourself, DOES THE JEEP GO STRAIGHT when i HOLD THE STEERING WHEEL STRAIGHT? or does it go left or does it go right? duh
if your steering wheel is straight and the jeep is going straight then you all you need to do is reset the computer. I used my Superchips programmer.

if your steering is not straight when you do the above, then you need to adjust your draglink until the steering wheel is 100% straight. even a little bit off will throw off your traction control lights. . .
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRubi10
I thought I read it was due to improper caster angle after a lift. I put on a TF coli lift and got about 3~4 inches on my 2 door. Would a set of Adj LCA's help with that issue. Mine does it occasionally if I really hit a right sweeping turn.
It hasn't been much of a pain, but I really don't want to start cutting wires, although I know that would solve the problem!
Lifting lowers the Caster and causes flighty steering. Adding adjustable control arms allows you to fix the caster/flightyness.

ESP engaging on turns is generally due to the steering wheel being offcenter and the computer thinking that you are turning too much for your current speed.

Something to note is that - your steering wheel can be offcenter due to bent components. so the steering wheel being straight may not be the same as what the computer thinks is straight. This causes a lot of extra posts from people who don't know they have bent components and are too lazy to find 'computer' straight on the steering wheel.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like the best thing to do is get you're allignment done and then use a programmer.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Just got off the phone with superchips evidently they're programmer doesn't look at the steering angle sensor. So I guess now I need to find some one local with a procal. Or maybe it's just because it's a 2011 since someone early said they used their SC.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

I've got 4500 miles on a 5.5" lift and 37” tires. I used my Aeroforce gauge to find "Computer" center and locked it down. I have zero problems with ESP. Seems if center has been established correctly the system works great, even 2 deg. off will set the light and activate traction control.

Quick Reply: traction control after lift