Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

traction control after lift

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control after lift

i have searched and know there are some threads but havent seen another answer besides straighten the wheel..

i have adjusted and re adjusted the wheel. took the jeep to stock with the flash paq and re flashed and re did the tire size. called joe at teraflex and he told me to go on flat ground drive straight,let go of the wheel and then slowly stop. that will tell you if your wheel is straight and then re align. still cant get this damn traction control to stop kicking in during corners like on ramps.

the light coming on is jus the little vehicle with the squiggly lines. no other light comes on. never did this until after the lift.

does anyone have another wheel adjustment technique or another idea of what could be wrong
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The steering wheel being straight is irrelevant to what the computer thinks is straight. With bent components, the wheel could be offset by a considerable amount. Keep playing with it until you find 'computer straight', buy a ProCal which will tell you, or just turn the system off.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The steering wheel being straight is irrelevant to what the computer thinks is straight. With bent components, the wheel could be offset by a considerable amount. Keep playing with it until you find 'computer straight', buy a ProCal which will tell you, or just turn the system off.
how can a procal tell me and what can it tell me?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

ive had this same problem. my wheel is straight. i took it to the dealer and they told me it goes off because of the ride height. its not about how straight the wheel is. my alignment is dead on.
thats what the dealer told me.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

how can a procal tell me and what can it tell me?
It uses your front turn signals to let you know which way to turn the turnbuckle, and then lights both of them when the computer thinks the wheel is centered. Again, this will fix you as far as the computer/ESP are concerned, but the steering wheel can still be offset.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

I had the same issue last weekend after my lift. My steering wheel alignment was off about 1/4 turn after the first adjust. I did a 2nd adjust and it is still not aligned perfect (about an 1/8 of a turn), but the light went off. Now I'm not sure if I want to make it perfect or not...think I will live with it slightly off for now until I re-torque all the bolts in about week or two.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

I also had the same problem, bought a Procal it has a mode to help center your wheel, also turned TPMS. off and set tire size well worth the money.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the flashpaq and it does the tpms and tire size.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Esp

I just installed a 4" lift today myself, and when i make left turns the ESP/BAS light comes on also my Traction Control light comes on then goes off then comes on again. I'm going to have it aligned tomorrow. to see if that does anything.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBallin
i have searched and know there are some threads but havent seen another answer besides straighten the wheel..

i have adjusted and re adjusted the wheel. took the jeep to stock with the flash paq and re flashed and re did the tire size. called joe at teraflex and he told me to go on flat ground drive straight,let go of the wheel and then slowly stop. that will tell you if your wheel is straight and then re align. still cant get this damn traction control to stop kicking in during corners like on ramps.

the light coming on is jus the little vehicle with the squiggly lines. no other light comes on. never did this until after the lift.

does anyone have another wheel adjustment technique or another idea of what could be wrong
Ok man I have the answer!!!! It's called the ESP killswitch. There is a purple with LIGHT blue strip in a bundle of wires next to your gas pedal. Snip that wire and put a switch on it. I did this exact step last week and it's amazing!!!! I had the same things happening to me. Send me a private message and I'll send you a copy of the instructions. If I post it, it will be deleted for jk forum liability reasons. : thumbsup. The ESP activates pre- maturely due to the jeep computer still thinking it's stock( calculates speed, wheel turn degree and tire slippage. All those add together to make it activate).

Quick Reply: traction control after lift