Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traction Control Acting Up

Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control Acting Up

I've been on a couple of wheeling trips lately and last night on the way home from the gym the Jeep was acting funny. Its like its trying to brake for me when i'm just driving down the road and the traction control light comes on like i'm sliding but i'm going 30mph in my neighborhood. Anyone have any ideas?

There is nothing lit up on the dash, but the steering wheel is a tad off center when driving straight down the road.

Huck
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Huck how's it going? Those Rubirails have already been put to good use lol. It may very well be the steering wheel off center, as I believe I have read similar symptoms for the steering off center issue in here somwhere.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Try turning it off and see if that helps.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Have you recently done any work on your rig like tires or anything with the differentials?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

YouTube how to center your steering wheel. I've see this before it will engage your ESP is not centered
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Freak

If it's off center a tad bit, the traction control light can come on, depending how fast you're going into a curve. I would make sure it's at least 99% straight to eliminate steering wheel issue.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Have you recently done any work on your rig like tires or anything with the differentials?
I just had everything re-torqued but that was it. Tires and Diffs have been the same for over a year.

Huck
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
If it's off center a tad bit, the traction control light can come on, depending how fast you're going into a curve. I would make sure it's at least 99% straight to eliminate steering wheel issue.
I will see if I can align the steering wheel by adjusting the steering linkage.

Huck
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Find a place that does a free alignment and suspension check and bring it there. The computer will kick on the traction control for many reasons, two being your steering wheel not straight and suspension/steering components off/loose/going bad. I had the same traction control problem not to long ago and it was because a brushing in my track bar was going bad. I replaced the brushing, had it aligned at firestone with their lifetime alignment, and retorqued all the bolts and it fixed the problem completely. My steering wheel was also a bit off at the time as well so I had it recentered as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chronotripper
Find a place that does a free alignment and suspension check and bring it there. The computer will kick on the traction control for many reasons, two being your steering wheel not straight and suspension/steering components off/loose/going bad. I had the same traction control problem not to long ago and it was because a brushing in my track bar was going bad. I replaced the brushing, had it aligned at firestone with their lifetime alignment, and retorqued all the bolts and it fixed the problem completely. My steering wheel was also a bit off at the time as well so I had it recentered as well.
What did that cost ya? Need to get it done.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Acting Up