Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Trackbar Flex? - w/ Videos

Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackbar Flex? - w/ Videos

So first, the preliminary story - For a while now I've had a decent shimmy in my steering wheel when I would hit a bump, but nothing too crazy. About 1000 miles ago I had my first Death Wobble experience. I ended up throwing a JKS front trackbar on, as well as a Teraflex SS to just beef up mine. That didn't fix my problem, so today I went to get my tires balanced and an alignment so that I could have all of my measurements double checked.

So, I drop my Jeep off at the shop, and I get a phone call from them about 5 minutes later. They tell me that my front trackbar "isn't strong enough" and is flexing about an inch. The tech says that I should get the Teraflex forged one thats completely solid, and while I know that the Teraflex one is an amazing trackbar, I don't think that there should be anything wrong with my JKS one and see it as a sales pitch (also said that my Currie CAs looked small and I should get the Teraflex one - maybe he's secretly a Teraflex rep?) So I tell them to skip the alignment, and I'll come get my Jeep when the tires are done.

Next, I call David at Northridge 4x4. Tell him the info I was just relayed and he lets me know that he has sold about 1000 of the JKS bars with no complaints. We both agree that I should take it somewhere else to get an alignment, but since I don't really need one I think I'll just pass on that all together.

When I get to the shop, I sign the paperwork and go look at my Jeep. The tech shakes the steering wheel back and forth while I watch the trackbar. Low and behold, it does look like it's flexing a little bit. It's definitely moving, but I don't know if it's because the Jeep is moving, or if the trackbar is actually flexing some. So I took some videos when I got home:

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=DSCN1152.flv

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=DSCN1153.flv

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=DSCN1156.flv

What do you guys think? I torqued my trackbar bolts to 150 ft-lbs last night, so I don't think they're loose. Can anyone else see if theirs does this? I find it hard to believe that this could be causing my shimmy, but I'm open to all ideas now. Thanks!

Last edited by axsys; 04-01-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

I have the JKS and it does not move at all. how long have you had it? take it off and check to see that the bushings are in good order
Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

It's hard to tell from your videos but I don't see how it would flex, especially under such light conditions as you just turing the steering wheel. It's probably just moving with the jeep.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is a little hard to see in the videos, I tried as hard as I could to get it. I have only have the trackbar for a few weeks, less than 500 miles on it. It's probably important to note that I still had the shimmy with the stock trackbar, but I don't know if the stock one moved like this one does. I may weld on some washers to the track bar mounts to insure that my holes are not wallowed out (as I think they are the slightest bit). We'll see what happens after that.

Also, if you watch the 3rd video, you can see that the whole axle is moving too. Maybe it's something else?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

No expert here but it looks like it is moving in synch with the axle...as I think it should.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

it does seem like it is moving a little bit to me. the sound i pretty funny though sounds like a diesel in slow motion

i LOVE the TF one i have it and that thing is a BEAST
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

This might be a stretch but have you taken a look at your balljoints? Perhaps if they're bad they could cause the shimmy you're having. Either that or possibly your drag link endlinks. Just throwing out some ideas.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've checked the ball joints, they don't seem worn at all. How do I check the drag link endlinks? I've only got 16k miles on it.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Smile Trackbar Flex? -w/videos

I have had my JKS adj front/rear trackbars for over a year now with no problem and I could not duplicate what your video shows - have you called a tech or engineer at JKS?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rocky Clymer
I have had my JKS adj front/rear trackbars for over a year now with no problem and I could not duplicate what your video shows - have you called a tech or engineer at JKS?
I haven't, I'll try giving them a call tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Trackbar Flex? - w/ Videos