Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track Bar Pinched Exhaust Pipe

Old 03-22-2015, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Track Bar Pinched Exhaust Pipe

I was changing my rear diff fluid today and noticed my exhaust was pinched sometime back when it was hit by what appears to be the track bar. I'm not sure how it got up that high, so I'm guessing it occurred a few years ago, before I installed a 2" lift.

What's the best option for replacing that pipe? The muffler is still good, so can a replacement pipe be inserted? Can it be mounted in a way to prevent this from happening in the future?

I don't really want an aftermarket exhaust, unless it maintains the current noise level and sound of the engine. I like that this engine is quiet, especially on the highway.

Also, what would I be looking at cost-wise, for a replacement? I won't be doing it myself. I work 60+ hours a week and have 9 kids, so there's no time for me to do it, even if I did have the tools and skills, which I don't. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not planning on having the stealership take care of it, either, unless someone thinks it might be covered by warranty. (It should, as it is a poor design, but that may not be how Jeep sees it.) I've got a good mechanic. I'd just like to make sure it doesn't happen again. The 2" lift appears to give it more space, but I don't know enough about how that rear suspension works when flexing to know for sure.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The dimple in the exhaust is factory.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
^^ What he said
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 7kings
^^ What he said
You mean this is factory? Why the hell would they restrict the exhaust like that?

Last edited by dmwil; 03-22-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	016d9133a7e08ff080e995abe3df0ab39e9684dca1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	602616

Looks kinda like this one.

I'm assuming they do it for clearance and I doubt it causes much flow restriction. Either way, don't sweat it - it's factory.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm sorry, sir, but your avatar has completely derailed my ability to concentrate on anything else in this thread.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

You'll have to ask the factory that.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Dimple 001.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	602618  
Old 03-22-2015, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmwil
I'm sorry, sir, but your avatar has completely derailed my ability to concentrate on anything else in this thread.
Sorry....just changed it to that. Noticed more and more avatars going away from rigs, so I thought I'd pull out one of my old ones.

What I can't tell from your post is if you are offended so if you are, just let me know and I will change it back.

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-23-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 7kings
Attachment 602616

Looks kinda like this one.

I'm assuming they do it for clearance and I doubt it causes much flow restriction. Either way, don't sweat it - it's factory.
Man, that's good news. I thought I was in for a quick fix before leaving for Moab Friday. I'm just finishing details, such as changing the diff fluid, and I'm looking over EVERYTHING with a fine toothed comb. Glad this is no worry. I now take back the colorful language I uttered when I noticed it.

Hey, you got to see what the bottom of your Jeep would look like at 90k miles, living in a northern road-salted environment! I remember when mine looked as clean and new as in your pics!

Last edited by dmwil; 03-22-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
Man, that's good news. I thought I was in for a quick fix before leaving for Moab Friday. I'm just finishing details, such as changing the diff fluid, and I'm looking over EVERYTHING with a fine toothed comb. Glad this is no worry. I now take back the colorful language I uttered when I noticed it.
I was a little confused when I first saw mine, too, but it seemed too clean a dimple to be trail damage. Now the gouges in my skid plates are a different story...

Quick Reply: Track Bar Pinched Exhaust Pipe