Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

track bar options

Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track bar options

Wondering what everyones opinion on the best track bar upgrade is. I have a 4" lift on my 2011 jkur and started getting a really bad death wobble after taking it in for warranty work on a leaking axle seal. After looking into it I found that the world class service mechanic decided to replace my upgraded bolt with a wheel bolt in an attempt to center the hole, which ended up holding the one side but letting the other side move up and down, which resulted in the track bar expansion knuckle breaking. I found this out on a road trip so had to replace the bolt with one in the back of the jeep and thankfully I had a welder in my rig too so I welded the track bar solid. This worked for quite a while but now I think the hole is too buggered and the dreaded death wobble has come back with a vengeance. So I'm going to say I need to get a relocation kit for the track bar mounts as well as a new track bar, so what's everyones suggestions on the best way to go? This is what my wife uses to get the kids to school and get groceries when we aren't out beating the shit out of it so I want to go with something reliable and safe, but again, stay at home mom and three kids I'd like it not to break the bank... Help me out wise jeep people!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you need to replace the track bar ASAP. It's not safe after it broke. Any aftermarket track bar should be fine. You're not wheeling or running 40s, so don't get hung up on brand. JKS is popular, works well, is durable, and priced well.

I would recommend not relocating the track bar up, unless you have bump steer issues. If you relocate it, you will also have to flip the drag link (drag link and track bar need to be close to parallel). Then you have to test your flex to ensure the drag link won't eat the frame. The flip kit is another few hundred dollars - so, avoid it if you don't need it.

If no bump steer: get new track bar and either replace the stock bracket with an HD version from someone like Artec, or, if the stock brackets is fine just get some weld washers to weld over the holes to fix the ovaling. Artec makes some 1/4" thick washers and they are just a few dollars.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Several good ones out there but Northridge had the Synergy in stock ready to ship and I was in a bind for it so that's what I went with.

Last edited by bronc; 03-06-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I'm only running 35" tires right now but was planning on going up to at least a 40 as we're moving to the mountains in the next few months and plan on doing a lot more wheeling and crawling. When I do that I'll be upgrading my 4"BDS lift to a long arm kit also however so you may be onto something with not putting too much into it right now... Thanks for the recommendations, really appreciated! Would you also recommend replacing control arm bushings etc? I found a place with a "death wobble fix package" from KOR, using a JKS adjustable track bar for 1-6" lifts, would something like this be a good upgrade that I could still use when I do go with a 6" long arm and run 40's?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a RK trackbar I just took off my jeep, but shipping may be a lot up to Canada. I've heard great things about the synergy one mentioned earlier. I run their drag link and TB bracket. Very pleased.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Did you talk to the dealership shop that did the original work? If anything just file a complaint. That is just wrong that they removed/replaced a part you installed without letting you know.

There are so many HD TBs out there. i kind of like the Teraflex as you can easily adjust it. Metalcloak has a real stout one as well
Old 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

I did talk to the dealership, he didn't believe me and asked me to bring in the bolt they had installed as he didn't see why the mechanic would take out the one I had already put in. Seeing as I had to weld the track bar back together in order to get home I didn't think they would believe anything else I had to say on the matter and decided it was a lost cause... Thankfully my warranty is now up so I never have an excuse to take my rig back to them. I have also warned my friends in the area to stay away from them but it seems there's really not any good dealerships in my area that are any better. Also I am a red seal mechanic, heavy duty which I understand is a lot different than automotive, but I still feel fairly confident in my skills working on my jeep that it's offensive when a service manager calls me a liar! Where abouts are you located mds22? I'll be starting my new job down south shortly and already have a P.O box state side that I could get it shipped to. How much do you want for it?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Dang, that sucks. Definitely make a facebook note about the dealership about what happened. Not sure if the is Forum allows it but post the name of the dealer to warn others to check the work they do before driving off at a minimum.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I have the Teraflex hd adjustable track bar. Easy to install and very solid.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

OK, so reading more on this topic and trying to learn as I go here. I've noticed that along with the issues I'm having with the death wobble I too have a huge dead spot in the steering wheel. Would it be recommended to do a relocation, drag link flip and selector shaft brace all at the same time while I'm doing the track bar, then I won't run into more issues when I do decide it's time for the long arm and 40s? I apologize for the ignorance on the topic, just trying to learn a bit more about this and wondering what an ideal set up would be...

Quick Reply: track bar options