Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea my dealership told me they did not want to fool around with the welds. I have very happy to have the new front axel. To be honest I dont think I know of a dealership I would trust with weld work....but thats another story. hahaha

drt4fun - If you take your jeep off the tar I would invest in at least an adjustable front track bar. I wouldn't say you are in grave danger, but like I said earlier it is a "DEATH wobble" As a humorous side note, I had just had an alignment before this happened so naturally I took it back to the shop that did it when the bracket broke. (before I diagnosed the problem). The lifetime mechanic that did the alignment and whom I trust very much, said that he took the jeep out for a drive to experience the "death wobble". He said he had to get it up to about 40 before he experienced it, but when he did he sheepishly told me he was forced to put it in the ditch as well to avoid an on coming car. HAHAHA.

But anyway, invest in a track bar, should be under $200. Save yourself and your family some time in the ditch.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

BLKRUBI-
I am running a skyjacker lift, but all stock brackets are being used. (for about a week longer). But since this happened I have talked to numerous people that have broken track bar brackets with about every kind of lift made. The common thing seems to be the track bar itself. Non-adjustible = broken brackets (stock and aftermarket) I dont think I came across one person with the problem with an adjustible bar. But, like I said I did talk to people with the same problem with all sorts of different lifts and combinations. So I think the problem runs a little deeper than just the lift manufacturer. .............Not to ruffle any feathers
Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Silver Rube JK - Thank you for the input. I will be purchasing an adjustable front track bar very soon.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by silver rube jk
BLKRUBI-
I am running a skyjacker lift, but all stock brackets are being used. (for about a week longer). But since this happened I have talked to numerous people that have broken track bar brackets with about every kind of lift made. The common thing seems to be the track bar itself. Non-adjustible = broken brackets (stock and aftermarket) I dont think I came across one person with the problem with an adjustible bar. But, like I said I did talk to people with the same problem with all sorts of different lifts and combinations. So I think the problem runs a little deeper than just the lift manufacturer. .............Not to ruffle any feathers
Nope, Not ruffling my feathers. I actually have a Skyjacker lift with the relocation brackets and haven't had any problems, but i know that I'm pushing it and plan to replace them with Adjustable track bars. From what I've seen on this forum(what I should have said), it's been people with Skyjacker lifts breaking these things because of the increassed leverage of their riser brackets. I didn't mean to imply that NO one else's lift has had this problem, just do a search here and everything you'll find will be related to Skyjacker.

Quick Reply: Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?