Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy_Boy what is with the BB's are awful thing? That has nothing to do with the OPs statements or questions. For the record there are not "upper" and "lower" trackbars.

The front trackbar bracket is a known problem. The problem has also been documented with this lift. This problem is not specific to any lift unless that lift adds an extension bracket at the axle housing. There is at least one documented case of this happening on a stock JK that was driving off road.

Please inspect your JK after every off road trip, and do not use an extension bracket at the axle unless it also provides additional support like the currie one shown.

Silver Rube JK: I'm glad you are ok. Check the dealers work carefully. Pictures on this forum have shown a few scary looking repairs. Post a picture for us if you can. Many dealers have refused to warranty this repair on lifted Jeeps, so yours seems to be trying to help you. If they are Jeep friendly let us know. I just have to ask... were you using an extension bracket?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Part #: CE-9807FTBK
Our Price:$39.95

Description: This is the front trac bar relocating kit out of the RockJock® JK off road suspension system. Kit includes inner and outer bracket and all hardware. Minor welding is required! Detailed instructions included. Sold each.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yuck, sounds familiar. Mine just over a month ago. 3" fabtech lift from les schwab. dealer told me its a bad lift design:

luckily I was only going about 15mph when mine blew apart.

the 2 horizontal welds just came clean apart and the vertical one sheared as you see there.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.

Part #: CE-9807FTBK
Our Price:$39.95

Description: This is the front trac bar relocating kit out of the RockJock® JK off road suspension system. Kit includes inner and outer bracket and all hardware. Minor welding is required! Detailed instructions included. Sold each.
does this relocating kit attach to the original brackets? any pics of where it gets welded? trying to figure out how much stronger it makes it over the stock. thank you
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Wow, I'm a newb and this is the first I've read of this... Just how common is this? And do you feel the design of the lift is indeed the problem?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it failed at the weld, it looks like the steel failed - metal fatigue?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the main reason why I chose to go with adj. trackbars even with a 2.5" BB. There is alot of stress between the trackbar and the axle after a lift if it isn't centered. Which explains why you must use a tie-down strap to re-install the trackbar bolt at the axle after insatlling a lift. I for one could feel the axles tugging against the trackbars when driving and didn't like the idea of it. Even so, I agree that that appears to be metal fatigue and still shouldn't be an issue. Those mounts should hold up regardless.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Default I second a pick of it installed

Originally Posted by tkob1060
does this relocating kit attach to the original brackets? any pics of where it gets welded? trying to figure out how much stronger it makes it over the stock. thank you
I was hoping to also see one installed so I can see the weld points. Personnally I'd rather weld the crap out of it and make it overly strong.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Yes, it is bolted to the factory bracket and welded for added strength.

You can see a complete suspension write up here.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

I had the same problem. Tore the bracket off the front axle. Dealership sais it was because of the relocation bracket for the trac bar. I say B.S. but oh well it's fixed now. I ordered a new bracket from Dynatrac. It is 3 times thicker than the stock shit that is on there and was only like $20.00. I also had the shop that welded it on reinforce the rear bracket just to be safe, and bought an adjustable trac bar for the front. Since it has been fixed I skyed it out over some RR tracks and have not had any problems. Not that I advocate it, but it sure is fun.

Quick Reply: Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?