Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?

I am running a skyjacker 4" and 35's. I have had not steering issues whatsoever to date (3200 miles). I had made a trip 30 miles from my house with no signs of anything funny. On the way home, cruising about 55 on the highway the steering wheel started shaking a little bit, then all of a sudden really violently. My jeep then started pitching back and forth reallllllllly bad. The tires were squeeling and I thought I was gonna roll. I was completely outta control, but luckily the jeep decided to go right into the ditch instead of oncoming traffic, but it was still quite an adventure.

I looked under the jeep to see what the hell happened. Everything was tight fine and dandy. sway bar, tie rod, etc. But the front track bar bracket had completely broke all its welds.

My dealership says they're gonna fix it because of the situation in which it broke. Buuuuuut, that isn't gonna be a permanent fix if it broke after 3000 miles. And trust me, having that thing break at highway speeds is seriously bad news.

Does anyone know of a stronger bracket or anything along those lines to make it stronger?? I have been thinking about just beefing up the welds once my dealership fixes it, but that still seems a little sketchy.

Ideas??

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

On the advice of a fellow JK owner who broke his front track bar bracket I welded reinforcements on mine. The back was easier to reinforce. The front is not as easy, but I added a tab between the spring mount and tbb. I should add more but I don't know where to add. A weld on reinforement bracket would be great aftermarket item as the number of failures is going up.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rock Krawler makes a set of weldable gussets for not too much $$. Sorry, can`t post a link. Just check out their site. I have these on my rig. Good luck
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crux
Rock Krawler makes a set of weldable gussets for not too much $$. Sorry, can`t post a link. Just check out their site. I have these on my rig. Good luck
Beat me to it.

Glad you made it out OK. That is my definition of a Death Wobble, had that happen to me in my TJ (different reason) Very scary.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

wow that is the extreme death wobble that turned out good in reality for you not to have rolled the eep.

I assume you have the adjustable HD track bar with a 4" lift?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the new Poly Performance bracket.

It is extremely well tought out.
It requires you to completely remove the old bracket from the axle tube.
You then bolt an entirely new assembly on. It uses a u-bolt and also bolts to the swaybar link mount. It relocates the steering stablizer as well for better clearance. I intend to weld my on to make it even more sturdy.

Poly Performance also makes a similar bracket for the rear for the JK.

http://www.***************.com/shop/...cat=710&page=1

Last edited by DirkDigler; 01-04-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine also broke off and wobbled bad.
I have a 3" Fabtech from Les Schwab and it was the worst thing I have done yet. I did have the death wobble and bump steer after the lift.
The kit came with new springs on the front and spacers on the back, and extention brackets on the track bar mount. I took off the extentions after the bracket broke off, and installed adjustable track bars that took away the death wobble but still have bump steer along with a horrible ride, wonders, rough and squats!
They took my original parts otherwise I would go back to factory untill I could afford a much better kit. I am telling you, BB is awfull! They need to go back to the drawing board. Do not use extention brackets, get adjustable track bars, uppers and lowers, and I think the ride would be fine.
The Jeep needs to be well tuned for a lift and It would pay in the long run to install a much better lift.
I think part of the problem is the Jeep is a little heavier, longer and wider than previous models and the kits will not handle the extra meat. Just an opinion, glad you are ok, It is scary as hell, I know!

Last edited by troy_boy; 01-04-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help so far!

Death wobble describes the situation perfectly.

I am running a HD track bar, but non-adjustable. I am going to look into a few of the solutions you guys were nice enough to suggest to me and go from there. I'd like to just replace the stock bracket with a more HD one and be done, but it sounds like the adjustable bar is gonna be the way to go along with the new bracket.

I looked at the welds on the bracket this mornin. Now I'm no welding expert, but it definitely appears as tho a hairline crack started at the top of the bracket along the welds and then slowly worked its way down before the big break. For those of you who still have the stock bracket, it would be worth your while to check the top of the bracket for any hairline cracks. The time spent is definitely worth saving someone a "death wobble" experience!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Currie also makes a nice bracket:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2882

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-04-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: oops, nevermind.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

yeah I have the 2.5" bb and it appears to be vehicle by vehicle as to the results of problems. I need to get an adj track in the rear and front at this point so I just assumed the kit included one.

Quick Reply: Track bar bracket breaks on highway, hello ditch!! Any advice?