Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track bar bolt and Death Wobble

Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track bar bolt and Death Wobble

So just after I got off the Rubicon trail, got back on pavement, I experienced Death Wobble. It was easily diagnosed and corrected. The not on the Track bar bolt was gone and the bolt had backed out. New nut, tighted it up, back on the road no problem. That was probably 600-700 miles ago.

This morning driving to work, steering felt a little wierd. Started getting a little vibration on the freeway. Hit a bump on the road right in from of my office - Death wobble. Same bolt was loose. Nut is still there. Tightened it back up.

I will torque it to 125ft-lb per spec tonight. But what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is thread-lock enough? Nylock nut? Anyone had similare reccurring problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got the northridge bolt kit and they came with lock nuts. You can try thread lock
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by JK Obsessed
So just after I got off the Rubicon trail, got back on pavement, I experienced Death Wobble. It was easily diagnosed and corrected. The not on the Track bar bolt was gone and the bolt had backed out. New nut, tighted it up, back on the road no problem. That was probably 600-700 miles ago.

This morning driving to work, steering felt a little wierd. Started getting a little vibration on the freeway. Hit a bump on the road right in from of my office - Death wobble. Same bolt was loose. Nut is still there. Tightened it back up.

I will torque it to 125ft-lb per spec tonight. But what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is thread-lock enough? Nylock nut? Anyone had similare reccurring problem?

Thanks in advance.
If you were not hitting the torque specs before, thats why it keeps reoccurring. Its possible the whole is now wallowed out. Move up a bolt size and be sure to check the torque specs before and after trail rides.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

many members in this forum tight the bolts at 130
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

I use a 3' breaker bar and all my might to tighten my track bar nuts down.

First couple times use a torque wrench at 125-130 lbs and mine still wobbled.

I then broke my 200 lb torque wrench, so I use my current method.

I use Grade 8 bolts and nuts, sized up, and haven'y had an incident in almost a year.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Use an ALL metal lock nut.

Quick Reply: Track bar bolt and Death Wobble