Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Track Bar

Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Bar

So I'm getting some serious wobble when I hit bumps, from what I've read it may be the death wobble. I checked the torque on the bolts and they are all good. But when I have some one turn the wheel, the track bar moves on the side attached to the frame. It moves right where the adjustment but meets the bar it's self. Could the track bar be broken inside the "sleeve" or is this normal. I'm trying to upload a video, hopefully I get it uploaded soon.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Below is the link to the video. http://youtu.be/JTraZhsul8g
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jonnyb19
Below is the link to the video. Video Link: http://youtu.be/JTraZhsul8g
http://youtu.be/JTraZhsul8g
Old 10-25-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My .02; take the bar off for inspection. Could just be the jam nut has come lose (that is a jam nut in the video, right?) or my guess is that isn't the cause of your DW but a result of and you may have additional issues elsewhere. Nonetheless, it needs to come off so you can get a closer look and tighten/order a new one if required. What brand bar is it?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Honestly, I have no idea, I am the third owner and not the one that installed the lift. The jeep is a 2013 and only has 9K miles. I still looks brand new, so I doubt that it was beat up to bad. So I'm hoping if I take your advice, and tighten the jam nut, it will fix the problem. By if that's not causing the wobble, I wonder what is.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Who's track bars is that? Looks like there's a lot of deflection in either the bar itself or the bushings.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure. I will order a new one if I have to, but would like to try and fix this if possible. It looks like it is right by the "nut", I don't think it is the bushing. Is it possible to tighten the nut with out removing the track bar?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

I'm not sure. I will order a new one if I have to, but would like to try and fix this if possible. It looks like it is right by the "nut", I don't think it is the bushing. Is it possible to tighten the nut with out removing the track bar?
If you can get a wrench around it, yes. "Could" be an RK bar, if so it's 1 5/16" wrench. Measure and see. If it's been like that for a while, I'd remove it altogether and do a visual examination for wear/stress.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Honestly, I have no idea, I am the third owner and not the one that installed the lift. The jeep is a 2013 and only has 9K miles. I still looks brand new, so I doubt that it was beat up to bad. So I'm hoping if I take your advice, and tighten the jam nut, it will fix the problem. By if that's not causing the wobble, I wonder what is.
9k miles and 3 owners already? Where you located?

Looks like a track bar drop bracket is installed also so knowing whos lift and how much would be a great starting point.

Last edited by fredrok; 10-25-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in Italy. The guy that originally owned it bought it here lifted it 4 inches, sold it to a female and she sold it to the guy I bought it from. The guy I got it from only put 700 miles on it and never took it off road.

Quick Reply: Track Bar