Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tpms sensors

Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpms sensors

When I put new wheels on if I do not put the tpms sensors in can I turn off this function? Or is this not possible to leave these off.

Chris
Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

cant turn it off.if you dont mind the "ding"at startup and the light on your dash,your good to go.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

I would take the sensors off the old wheels and put them on your aftermarket ones. that worked with the mickey thompson classic II that my brother got.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
I would take the sensors off the old wheels and put them on your aftermarket ones. that worked with the mickey thompson classic II that my brother got.
x2.....you will need them for inspections and if you ever sell or trade it in.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Do a search on here and you will find all knid of info on it.. Took mine out but if you do hang on to them, you may need them if you trade for newer jeep later!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
Worked on mine too. Same wheels and they balanced out great, with no shimmy. Did the spare also.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah as of 2007 or 2006 they are federally mandated in all new vehicles. it is suppost to be looked at for ispection and if the light is on that is a automatic failure. it is even suppost to be a federal offense to remove them (just like cats)

i was going to put the sensors in a little tank (like pipe or something) and pressurize it to 35 psi and hide it some where. in theory ths shoud work. but now i have a pressurized vessel on board and if you work in the auto industry (like i do) you cn give your inspection mechanic a case of beer and he will pass with that on and your tires sticking out 3 inches past the fenders
Old 09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ytee
When I put new wheels on if I do not put the tpms sensors in can I turn off this function? Or is this not possible to leave these off.

Chris
If you have an 07...you can take them off and have Jeep reflash your computer to act as if it never had them. If you have an 08 or newer they are required by law.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

no you can not turn off the sensors put them in a tube would not work either since the pcm looks for them via a trigger module u can leave them in your old rim all you would have is a chime on start u and a light on the dash on as a machanic for jeep i would not care if a new jeep had the sensors present or not as lon as they are there on trade in also i dont belive that there is a flash for the sensors if a 07 had them to fool the pcm
Old 09-13-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all I think I will just take them out of the old wheels and put in the new ones. Do I need a rebuild kit to change them to the new rims or will everything work since they only have about 1900 miles on them?

Chris

Quick Reply: tpms sensors