Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS question

Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question

I have an 08 JK unlimited Rubicon and just bought a new set of wheels/tires. Can I swap the tpms sensors myself or do I need to pay a shop to do it? Any tricks out there?
Thanks,
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisd0729
I have an 08 JK unlimited Rubicon and just bought a new set of wheels/tires. Can I swap the tpms sensors myself or do I need to pay a shop to do it? Any tricks out there?
Thanks,
you can do it yourself its easy just get the right socket for your tpms. you will have to get the top bead of the tire broken down making sure not to bust the tpms system.

Hold the tpms while unscrewing it from the top making sure you dont drop the tpms sensor inside the tire.

or you can just ask Discount Tire to drop the sensor for you they shold do it for free as i work at discount tire myself, might depend on how busy they are.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Discount tire wants $7.50 extra to do that for me when I'm buying the tire and paying for the mount/balance also.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisd0729
Thanks,
You can do it. But ask yourself if you want 5 year old sensors in your new tires (the batteries are projected to last 6-9yrs)
and, if your '08 has the aluminum nuts holding the valve stems, you may have to replace the stem/nut because of corrosion.

The newer sensors have rubber stems and no nuts to corrode.

If you opt for new sensors, investigate! The new (rubber stem) sensors are a different frequency than the old ones. Some forum members have posted that they installed them and they were (eventually) automatically recognized by the jeep. Others say they had to be flashed at the dealer (or tire store).

Installation-wise, the sensor simply sits against the rim, held in place buy the nut on the aluminum stem or held in place by the rubber stem without a nut.

If you keep the old sensors but need new nuts and/or stems, you can buy them on amazon or some tire stores. I got valve stems on amazon and "service packs" at a VIP tire.

"Schrader 20013 TPMS Service Pack" and "Schrader 20020 TPMS Service Pack Fits Stem Only"

Last edited by Jiblet; 07-16-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: TPMS question