Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS question...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is a good source to get decent TPMS? Im assuming there are some that are better than others. Ive got a set of AEV Savegre's coming that Im going to be getting installed and am going to be selling my Rubicon takeoffs with the TPMS and I dont want to break them apart to get them.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WilKJ
to the OP
where do you have the OEM wheels?

I had a car with no sensors, but had my stock rims in my basement, and I guess the computer would still read the sensors, not sure how far the oem sensors have to be from the vehicle so the vehicle misses them. On my car i had driven over 100 miles away with no light... then it would come up for a couple of days and off....
Currently they are stored about 8ft from where I park every night. Maybe that's what it is? Seems like if you had low tire pressure you should be alerted more quickly though.

If this is true I could leave home with low pressure and take a road trip travelling hundreds of miles on a low tire in one day before being alerted. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the TPMS if they are not updating more real time than once a day.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine TPMS would come on as soon as I air down and turn off as soon as I get off the trail and air up. I got rid of the TPMS with the take off set that I sold and got a procal because it can recalibrate down to zero.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Currently they are stored about 8ft from where I park every night. Maybe that's what it is? Seems like if you had low tire pressure you should be alerted more quickly though.

If this is true I could leave home with low pressure and take a road trip travelling hundreds of miles on a low tire in one day before being alerted. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the TPMS if they are not updating more real time than once a day.
The car I had was a Toy Camry, I was able to drive away from home no sensors and no light, the previos post says it comes up as soon as he lowers the pressure, thats good!

I dont care much for sensors, I check the pressure often
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Just remember that the sensor reads the spare and the 4 wheels on the JK.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Do sensors vary from year to year? If I get Rubi take off's from a 2011 and put them on a 2008, will it matter? (Thinking not, just want to be sure).

Last edited by BLK08JK; 02-16-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: removed 2010 as I purchased 2011's
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Do sensors vary from year to year? If I get Rubi take off's from a 2011 and put them on a 2008, will it matter? (Thinking not, just want to be sure).
Has anyone done this? I now have 2011 wheels/tires but noticed the valve stems are all black (my '08 are gray). Think my computer will recognize these 'new' tpms sensors? Would love to hear from someone that has already done this same scenario... 2008 or 2009 Jeep with 2011 Rubi take-offs.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Mine took 3 days to come on of driving to work and back. Now I cant wait to get rid of it
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rich e dee
Mine took 3 days to come on of driving to work and back. Now I cant wait to get rid of it
And what did you install? Take offs or new wheels w/o TPMS?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

A lot of info flying in this thread. Some good, some not.

JK TPMS sensors have a grey aluminum stem normally with a grey cap. The stem is aluminum, the cap is plastic. The stem is threaded and the outer nut holds it rigidly on the rim. If the stem is black rubber you do not have TPMS sensors installed.

Part numbers: Sensor 28155. Stem 20020. Rebuild Kit 20013.

Anytime a tire shop breaks the bead on a tire they are supposed to service the TPMS sensor. They are supposed to use the 20013 above which costs about $6/tire. The kit is an O-Ring, Nut, Shrader Core and Gray Valve Cap.

Up to and including '09 all JKs used the same or interchangeable sensors. Not sure what happened after '09. Domestic JKs are at 315 MHz. Export JKs are 415 MHz.

The dash light can take over a week to light when a sensor goes missing.

When airing down for a run or airing up after a run, yes, the TPMS will immediately light the dash light or extiguish it. It does this quickly yet does not detect a missing sensor for a week or more.

The JK does not learn new sensors. The sensor IDs are flashed to the computer. A good tire shop or any dealer has to change the IDs.

If your original tires are stacked in the garage they are not reporting a pressure to the WCM. After sitting still for 20 minutes the sensors shut down and stop reporting. When the JK moves again (tires start turning) the sensors start reporting pressure and continue reporting pressure once a minute until they are stationary for 20 minutes. After sitting still for 20 minutes...repeat.

If your original tires and sensors are stacked up and you want the TPMS sensors in your new wheels, you can do it yourself. You will need all of the factory tire changing equipment, a 8" long piece of 2x4 lumber and a willingness to rotate your tires. If you do not want to rotate your tires you will need a jackstand.

Last edited by Vernnz; 02-16-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS question...