Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS question...

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS question...

I upgraded to a set of procomp steelies and 35" tires on my 2011 Unlimited 2 days ago. The clerk at the tire place and I both agreed that for an extra $50 TPMS sensors weren't necessary, all that would happen is I would get an indicator light on my dash.

So I opted not to have them installed in my new wheels. (Plus I am planning on getting a programmer to correct my speedo anyway so I figured I would change the TPMS setting so I didn't have an indicator light on.)

It's been 2 days now and my TPMS light hasn't been lit. In other words, my dash just looks like normal when I am driving.

Does this mean that I did end up with TPMS sensors in the wheels or am I not correctly understanding how this system operates?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How far have you driven? Mine took around 20 miles before it kicked on. I ended up getting a Superchips which can turn it off.

Not sure about Florida but in MA we have to have state inspections and if you have a TPMS light on, you will probably fail the test. With that said, since I turned mine off with the Superchips, I had no issues passing without the sensors installed.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if you got just plain black rubber stems ot the harder gray plastic ones. They may have changed them already. It is not that hard to do.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
How far have you driven? Mine took around 20 miles before it kicked on. I ended up getting a Superchips which can turn it off.

Not sure about Florida but in MA we have to have state inspections and if you have a TPMS light on, you will probably fail the test. With that said, since I turned mine off with the Superchips, I had no issues passing without the sensors installed.
It's been 2 days and I have driven maybe 30 miles. The stems are black and seem soft and rubbery, you know those ones that seem to always get torn off on the trail

I guess I just need to wait a bit more and I should expect to get that light. And in FL we don't have inspections, BTW.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

You still have your tpms right? You didn't give them to the tire place I hope.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biginboca
It's been 2 days and I have driven maybe 30 miles. The stems are black and seem soft and rubbery, you know those ones that seem to always get torn off on the trail

I guess I just need to wait a bit more and I should expect to get that light. And in FL we don't have inspections, BTW.
The JK computer is really strange. I had a dealer flash on my computer and it took 150 miles before all of my sensors were registering. How did I know this? After about 50 miles, I took my Jeep in for my state inspection and it failed because my O2 and Evap sensors were still offline. Another 50 miles, still ofline. Finally after another 50 miles, I passed. Was told that these newer computers sometimes require "x" number of key cycles, certain weather conditions, "x" miles, etc... in order for everyhting to be reset properly.

Based on what you described, I think you have regular stems with so TPMS so, unless your TPMS sensor is busted, it will come on at some point.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 20JK10
You still have your tpms right? You didn't give them to the tire place I hope.
Yes, I have my factory wheels and tires stored in tact.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to high jack the thread but if I have rubi take offs with tpms in them and my stick wheels have my tpms in them do I have to have the jeep flashed to calibrate the new tpms or just swap on the new rubi wheels and ride.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myz28u
Not to high jack the thread but if I have rubi take offs with tpms in them and my stick wheels have my tpms in them do I have to have the jeep flashed to calibrate the new tpms or just swap on the new rubi wheels and ride.
swap and ride on....
the JK will learn the sensors.. you have to drive some time over certain speed, I think.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

to the OP
where do you have the OEM wheels?

I had a car with no sensors, but had my stock rims in my basement, and I guess the computer would still read the sensors, not sure how far the oem sensors have to be from the vehicle so the vehicle misses them. On my car i had driven over 100 miles away with no light... then it would come up for a couple of days and off....

Quick Reply: TPMS question...